𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩 𝟒𝟗

Labour is long and hard, painful, exhausting, yet I don't think I'd want to be doing anything but be giving birth to our son

Ryder is in hysterics, he has been since my water broke back at the house, I've never seen a man move so fast. I swear he had me and everything we needed out of the house and into the car in under two minutes.

And it only got worse as he's been standing there, watching me lie in pain for the last five hours. He's just constantly pacing the room, asking questions, even doubting the professional doctor's knowledge about birth.

It's as if he's more terrified for me to push a human out of my body than I am. I should've known he'd be like this.

"Are you okay?" he questions, yet again as he finally settles back down on the chair beside the bed again, taking my hand in his. I don't have all that much energy to reply, so instead I rest my head back, giving him a reassuring smile.

I've been painfully contracting for the past four hours, but I'm finally inches away from being ready to push, I'm so excited to meet our baby.

Another sudden tight cramp takes over, causing a pained groan to escape my lips, my eyes squeezed shut as I squeeze tightly against Ryder's hand.

This one is different, and Ryder could tell, because he's already jumped up and gotten a nurse into the room within seconds, standing at my feet. "ten centimetres dilated, are you ready?"

I don't respond, suddenly doubting my ability to push a human out of me, It hurts enough already. A slight cry leaves my lips, and I can feel myself begin to panic before Ryder suddenly appears by my side again, his lips brushing against my hairline.

"You've got this, baby, cmon." I let out a shaky, exaggerated sigh, my hand clinging onto him as I nod my head, my eyes still squeezed closed.

"Alright, we'll push on the count of three." I'm not listening to anybody in this room but Ryder, as he begins to quietly count down with the nurse against my forehead — and before I know it I'm pushing, hard, painfully hard.

A stifled scream leaves my lips, as I grip onto Ryder, his arms basically cradling me as is. "You're doing so good Viv, so good." he reassures, wiping off the hair stuck to my suddenly sweaty forehead before leaving a kiss.

I give up, suddenly releasing and throwing my head back again, a warm tear rolling down my cheek. "You're almost there baby, one more push, c'mon." his hand palms my cheek, his thumb swiping off the tear.

I manage to catch my breath again, "One more" he reassures for the last time, before I finally manage to muster up the energy to push again.

This time I push long and hard, letting out a long, cried grunt until I eventually hear the cries of my baby, and suddenly all the pain from the last five hours was worth it, relief taking over.

Our baby is suddenly thrown onto my chest, and I finally flutter open my eyes, quickly adjusting to the room before gazing down at my son, my arms instinctively cradling him, holding him close against my chest, still in shock, several emotions taking over my body.

Ryder's hand holds the side of my head, and I finally manage to peel my eyes off my baby to wearily look up at him. He's staring down at my arms, a tear rolling down his face, before his gaze meets mine.

His forehead meets mine, and a shaky breath mixed with relief and tear leaves his mouth, "Thank you." he mumbles against my forehead, staring back down at our baby. We're both a crying mess at this point.

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

I can't seem to wipe off this massive smile on my face. I've been lying here for hours in the quiet, just watching as Ryder holds our son, staring down at him, taking in every detail of this moment, a memory I'll be carrying around with me forever.

He's been thanking me profusely, literally thanking me for making him a dad, thanking me for carrying and giving birth to our baby — I knew he'd be happy but not this happy.

I don't know what's running through his head. He has just been silent, his head bowed, his finger tracing Reid's small, soft features. But I'll give him time to process, even I'm still adjusting to this.

Suddenly, a loud, familiar voice is heard from down the hospital hallway, followed by a quick hush, before Wren and Finn are standing in the doorframe, flowers and a balloon in hand.

"Hi." Wren's gentle voice breaks the silence, and I turn to see her smiling broadly as she cautiously and quietly makes her way into the room. Ryder raises his gaze to Finn but says nothing; instead, he looks back down at Reid.

They get the hint, not saying anything to him, instead making their way over to me. The flowers are placed on my lap as Wren bends down to give me a kiss on the forehead, "Congratulations." she whispers excitedly. I give her a sleepy grin and thank her.

Finn moves in front of her, handing me the balloon with a grin on his face. "You look horrible." he teases, his finger indicating a circle over my face, before leaving a kiss in my messy hair.

I smile at them in appreciation, before moving my eyes back to Ryder. He's still in the same position he's been in for the past two hours; head down, staring down at Reid sleeping peacefully in his arms.

Another stretch of silence fills through the room before Wren speaks up, "May I?" she hesitantly asks to hold him, her fingers twiddling in her lap. She can hardly contain her excitement.

Ryder's eyes dart up to me, uncertainty all over his face. He pauses for a moment before eventually taking a deep breath, finally standing from his chair, a look of hesitation on his face as Wren moves closer towards him. I can tell he's nervous because of how cautiously he places Reid in her arms. He doesn't want anyone to have the possibility of hurting his son, but I trust Wren, as so does he, he'll ease up eventually.

He suddenly moves and sits back down beside me on the bed, stroking my hair and leaving another appreciative kiss on my hairline. We both continue to watch as Finn and Wren whisper and admire Reid, big smiles on their faces. They almost look like parents themselves, I know they'd be amazing ones. I hope to be an aunty too one day.

Reid was held, and stared at for at least an hour, and a few conversations had taken place before Wren and Finn had decided to leave, to give us some more space and time alone with Reid. And now I find myself almost half asleep, Reid sleeping in my arms, with Ryder lying closely beside me — one hand held against Reid, his other running up and down my arm.

I know he's tired, but I also know he won't sleep at all. if anything, having his baby has made him even more protective than he already was. As if anything could happen to us now, we've already been through the hard times, we deserve this.

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───
AN/word count - 1250