𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩 𝟐𝟕

The sound of annoying vibrating wakes me up

The sound of annoying vibrating wakes me up. With a groan, I reach out for my phone, my eyes still shut as I fumble around trying to stop the incessant noise. Fucking Vito, calling me this early on a Saturday.

I sit up, leaning against my headboard as I bring my phone to my ear. I barely acknowledged him with a grunt before he began to speak, sounding like he's been awake for hours already.

My mind stays half awake, only giving him half my attention as I try to wake myself up, until the words coming out of his mouth suddenly make me feel the need to throw up.

"They're pressing questioning, looking deeper into it," he states. It's been a year since the case has been closed, and all evidence has been wiped clean. My name had been completely erased from the records. Why could they fucking possibly be opening it again?

"Questioning who, exactly?" I ask, having one person in mind that can't know anything about this.

I hear him clear his throat, the silence stretching between us for a moment. "Well, you, your father, friends, your wife. Anybody you know really." As he listed them one by one, I felt my stomach churn, The more he spoke, the more I felt like I was going to be sick.

I kick the covers off my legs, standing up from my bed and running a hand through my messy hair before heading down the hallway. Being quiet as I pass Vivienne's room, making sure she doesn't overhear anything.

"Why though? it's over, it's been over." I stress, my mind flooding, nothing's adding up. Why can't these cunts just let it go.

"No idea. Justice, confirmation? You know how these people are." He mumbles into the phone,

I take a seat at the table, my forehead against the palm of my hand with the phone still pressed against my ear. I have no idea how I'm supposed to deal with this. She can't know. What if she gets scared and runs to somebody. I can't risk that.

Suddenly, she saunters into the kitchen, dressed in nothing but an oversized t-shirt that barely concealed her figure. Despite having just woken up, she looks beautiful, with her long tousled hair and dewy skin. She shoots me a smile before turning to the coffee.

I stare at the back of her head, contemplating, a thousand thoughts running through my head at once. I know I need to tell her If I'm planning on keeping her around. This marriage means too much to me, She means too much to me.

Eventually, I exchange a few reserved responses with Vito. "Just make sure you have people prepared. It'll be fine. There's no evidence." With a quick breath, he uttered his final words before abruptly ending the phone call.

I placed the phone down on the table and leant back in my chair, feeling the weight of the conversation still heavy on my mind. Just then, Vivienne appeared with two steaming mugs in her hands, her eyes filled with concern as she took in my expression.