EP 509: A Thin Line Between Love & Hate - Act I

Writer's Note:  I took a very short break and I'm back with the first act of "A Thin Line Between Love and Hate". This episode is inspired by both the movie and the title track by H-Town. (Click above) As always, thanks for your support. I hope you enjoy!

Please comment, comment, comment... follow, and vote. ☺️

*********************************************************************************************

ACT ONE

MUSIC CUE: "Giving Up" - Donny Hathaway -PLAY THRU MONTAGE

INT. KIA'S HOUSE - BEDROOM - DAY (D1) (MONTAGE)

With a tear-stained and puffy face, KIA lays in bed. A beat. Her breath catches as the PHONE VIBRATES on the nightstand. Kia lifts her head and sees OLIVIA flash ON SCREEN. She chokes back tears, turns over, and closes her eyes.

INT. BEACH HOUSE - DARNELL'S ROOM - NIGHT (N1) (MONTAGE)

DARNELL scans his closet for an outfit. A beat. Tears fill his eyes as he rubs the hem of Kia's robe. 

With a heavy sigh, he sits on the bed and scrolls the unread TEXTS and VOICE MESSAGES on his PHONE from KIA. A beat. He presses PLAY.

KIA (V.O.)

(in between tears)

Darnell, I know I messed up. But I need you to talk to me. I'm sorry... I'm sorry... Please just talk to me.

Darnell blinks back tears as his finger hovers over CALL.

INT. SLAUSON CAFE - DINING AREA /COUNTER - DAY (D2) (MONTAGE)

Darnell waits for his order and spots Kia seated at a table. With saddened eyes, Kia gives a slight smile to a WAITRESS as she leaves the food. 

Darnell starts to walk over to Kia. A beat. He's shaken out of his thoughts by the CASHIER.

CASHIER

--Sir? Sir, anything else?

DARNELL

No... I'm sorry. Thank you.

Darnell grabs his food and rushes out.

INT. REC. CENTER - DANCE STUDIO - NIGHT - (N2) (MONTAGE)

Kia practices her dance routine. She sways and rocks to the music, completely lost in the beat and lyrics.

EXT. UCLA - QUAD - DAY (D3) (MONTAGE)

Darnell walks up to LISA and pulls her into a bear hug. A beat. His smile fades as he spots Kia and DANTE from a distance in deep conversation.

CUT TO:

EXT. UCLA - QUAD - DAY (D3) (MONTAGE)

Kia and DANTE' are mid a tense conversation.

KIA

(as she walks away)

-- We can't be friends, Dante'. We can't be anything... I'm sorry.

INT. KIA'S HOUSE - LIVING ROOM - NIGHT - (N3) (MONTAGE)

With the phone in hand, Kia paces the floor and DIALS Darnell. She's sent to voicemail for the fourth time. A beat. She starts for the door grabbing her keys and purse.