EP 512: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart - Act I

Writer's Note: This song fits the theme of this episode perfectly... It's gonna be an emotional rollercoaster. So, buckle up. As always, I appreciate your support!

Please comment, follow, and vote. 🥰

**********************************************************************************************

ACT ONE

MUSIC CUE: "YOUR SIDE OF THE BED" - LITTLE BIG TOWN

INT. KIA'S HOUSE - ENTRYWAY / LIVING ROOM - NIGHT (N1)

DARNELL (eyes bloodshot and heavy) walks through the door. As he moves toward the living room he stops cold.

MEMORY FLASH

Seated on the sofa, KIA flips through the TV. A beat.

KIA

(raises brow)

Darnell Trevon Hayes... I know you're not about to walk in here with those dirty sneakers.

END MEMORY FLASH

With a heavy sigh, Darnell rubs his hand across his scruffy beard and takes his shoes off. He places them on the shoe rack.

INT. KIA'S HOUSE - BATHROOM - NIGHT (N1)

As he brushes his teeth, Darnell's eyes Kia's makeup, and hair products all over the counter... Just as she left it.

MEMORY FLASH

Kia applies eye shadow. With his toothbrush in hand, Darnell gestures at the beauty products scattered all over the place.

DARNELL

Kia. Do you ever put anything away?

(a beat)

When we get married it's gonna--

KIA

(rolls eyes, mocks Darnell)

--It's gonna be some changes around here, Kia Nicole.

(a beat)

It's easier for me to get ready with everything out like this... Either deal with the clutter or me being late, Hayes... You choose.

Kia pecks him on the cheek as she darts out of the bathroom.

END MEMORY FLASH

INT. KIA'S HOUSE - BEDROOM - NIGHT (N1)

Numb, Darnell sits at the edge of the bed clutching Kia's robe as he listens to a voice message from Spencer.

SPENCER (V.O.)

Hey, just checking on you. I know none of this is easy... I'm here if you need me. Anytime. Day or night. I'm just a phone call away, bro. Anything you need... Love.

INT. KIA'S HOUSE - BEDROOM - NIGHT (N1)

Laying on his side of the bed, Darnell stares at the empty space next to him as he blinks back tears.

MEMORY FLASH

Eyes locked and souls intertwined, Kia and Darnell lay facing each other. Kia smiles and strokes Darnell's face.

KIA

I love me some you...

END MEMORY FLASH

Darnell closes his eyes tightly, trying to lock in every trace of Kia's face.