EP 509: A Thin Line Between Love and Hate - Act III

Writer's Note: Please comment, follow, and vote. As always, thanks for your support! 🥰

*********************************************************************************************

ACT THREE

MUSIC CUE: "JUST LIKE ME" - AMERIE

INT. CLAY'S APARTMENT - DOWNTOWN LA - DAY (D4)

Clay joins Layla on the sofa and kisses her forehead as he hands her a cup of coffee. A beat.

CLAY

--How about we spend the weekend in New York? We could catch a show.

LAYLA

I'd love to but we're going to Palm Springs for JJ's birthday.

CLAY

Oh... Another Vortex trip. How fun.

LAYLA

I'm sorry, I would've invited you but things are still... Complicated.

CLAY

Complicated? Wait... You haven't told them about us. Have you?

(off Layla's guilty look)

Listen... I ain't trippin' on you not inviting me. I don't care about that... But what I'm over playing  Secret Lovers... I thought I was crystal clear on that.

LAYLA

I'm not keeping us a secret, Clay... Patience knows about us.

CLAY

(smirks)

Right... And what about Olivia? Your best friend... Jordan?

LAYLA

It just hasn't been the right time.

CLAY

(nods)

The right time... When are you gonna get outta your head and trust in us, Layla?

LAYLA

I do trust in us. I trust you.

CLAY

Do you? First, it wasn't the right time to walk away from Jordan. And I respected that... But now here we are almost a month later and you're treating us like some dirty little secret.

LAYLA

Clay, I'm not ashamed of our relationship... It's just Liv and I are finally in a good place... And I don't want to-

CLAY

I get it. I do. But why are you so worried about what other people think, Layla? When will it be the right time to focus on your happiness? Hell, our happiness.

A beat. Clay starts to gather his keys and laptop. He slides a spare key to Layla. He cups her face.

CLAY

Baby, I'm all in. You know that. But, it's starting to feel like we're right back at one... Maybe you should take some time to make sure this is still something you want.

LAYLA

Clay...

Clay kisses Layla's cheek before he exits.

INT. BEACH HOUSE - KITCHEN / LIVING ROOM - DAY (D4)

Spencer sits across from Darnell who makes smoothies. A beat. Gargling salt and water, Jordan rushes over to the sink and spits it out... Darnell and Spencer look at him with disgust.