Valentine Mansion

"But you're willing to spend 10 months taking care of her while you're not even sure if it's your child."

Callisto stared at her grimly at her bold words. Right then Eugene let out a groan because a hand grip her waist.
"Whether I'm willing to do it or not has nothing to do with you."

Eugene dropped her face in sullen. While the carriage moved forward at medium speed, the atmosphere suddenly went silent. Callisto closed his eyes for a while due to tiredness. There was so much going on that he didn't get to sleep properly and Eugene, who noticed that, got herself off his lap quietly.

Sitting opposite of him, Eugene watched him sleep. Even when he was asleep in a sitting position, his body straightened. It showed how tidy he is. She wished that time didn't pass on. She wished that she could be his wife again. She wished that she hadn't done what she had done to them, and their baby, especially. It was her biggest regret and it haunted her until this moment.

It took them a day and a half to get back to the capital. The carriage didn't stop even once because the Grand Duke had so many things to attend to. Eugene came to the mansion with eyes following her step. It was none other than the old Duchess of Valentine. She didn't like Eugene being here, especially during the time Primrose couldn't be with Callisto at night. She knew Eugene shared several nights with Callisto after their divorce, before he even got married to Primrose, that was why she couldn't stand it when she showed herself around again.
Unfortunately, all the Duchess could do was watch Eugene from afar because the woman is protected by her son.

"Her highness woke up two days ago and sir Jeremy Xavier is still locked up in a dungeon because apparently they can't get him killed right away."

"They said that?" Callisto, who was taking off his long sleeve shirt, curled his eyebrows.

"Yessir. They refused our bribe at the moment saying they will accept it as soon as they've found a way to get him executed."

"And Primrose Ashton? Have you told her about it?"

"Yessir. The Grand Duchess refused to eat but fortunately, her mother came. It looks like she still couldn't let go of her lover, sir."

"Even the mightiest spoiled princess is at her knees for a man. Romance and love are quite powerful, aren't they? Imagine still loving someone after they almost murder you. That's idiotic." He smirked as the butler helped him change into his nightwear clothes.

"Report to me when you get more details."

"Yessir."

Callisto left his room and went straight to the room of his second wife. When he entered, everybody left. The woman who looked pale and lifeless, having bandages wrapped around her head, turned her teary gaze to him.

"Fuck… you disappeared right after I got injured and now you walked into my room like nothing happened…? Bastard…" her voice trembled along with her hands. She tried to grip the bed sheets because of her rising anger but her hands got no energy left in it.

Stopping his move in front of the sick woman who glared at him with her pupils shook in resentment and pain, Callisto smirked and stroked her cheek.
"Are you upset that I wasn't around? I'm busy, you see."

Callisto talked like they had such a loving relationship. Anyone who didn't live under this roof that heard it must think they're a great couple. Primrose grabbed his shirt.
"Let him go… he must have his reason… so let him go and bring him here… I want to clear things with him…"

Callisto almost laughed out loud at her cry. He lifted her chin and then cold words fell off his lips.
"He had a reason? That's a naive way of putting it. Why don't you just say let him go, I love him and want to be with him even if he tried to kill me? That sounds better."

"..." Primrose gritted her teeth with tears dropped down, falling over her pale beautiful face.

"You're so mighty so I thought you may be a little smart in the head but you're just plain stupid. It's a good thing that you were born pretty and have Ashton as your last name. A reason? It's because you're pregnant and it may be my child so he wants to kill it. That's it. That's his reason. Your precious gentleman lover. I had my reason, too, of not letting him come out alive. It's that he tried to kill my possible child. If he tried to hurt you alone, I may consider letting him out as you requested me so desperately."

"Ugh…" Primrose tried to hit him while crying her eyes out.
"Bastard… asshole… I hate you… this wouldn't happen if I didn't marry you… it's all because of you… crazy asshole… you ruined my life… the moment you appeared in my life, everything went wrong… I hate you… he was gentle… he wasn't like that… it's all because of you…! It's your fault… you destroyed my life… bloody asshole… hugh…!"

"Why am I the person who ruined you when you're the one bringing a homeless guy with you and love him? Maybe I'm an asshole but I've never thought of pushing you down the stairs, Primrose." He scoffed a little.
"This marriage got worse because of you. I let you do whatever you want but you always try to provoke me. Now, it's my fault that your lover tried to off you?" The strong built body sat down next to the breaking down woman.

"This time you're lucky to make it out alive but next time, who knows? Maybe it'll be just your corpse that your family found."

"Ugh… asshole…"

"You need me, Primrose Ashton."

"Why…would I… fucking… need you… bastard…"
Primrose tried to wipe her tears away while cursing at him. Due to drowsiness, she didn't even realize she was being lifted up by him and sat on his lap. 

"How does it feel to be almost killed by the man you swore he loves you from the heart but gets protected by an asshole you hate? Crazy, right?"
He whispered while holding her little waist with one of his hands.
"If you cry so much, your injured head will be hurting, so why don't we try to calm you down?"

"Leave me alone… argh… hugh…"

Primrose grabbed her own head slightly when it started throbbing in a severe pain while her eyes saw black and her mind felt everything spinning. In such a gentle gesture, he kissed her soaking cheek and gave her support. Then he got up while holding her in his arms. Putting her back to the king size bed, he laid next to her, while patting her back.

"Shhh. Be a good girl if you want to be spoiled like you always do."

Unknowingly, the woman moved her body into his large figure. It may be she wanted to feel secure while her mind was losing it due to the severe pain.