*CoS 5*

Harry enters the corridor and slows. Up ahead, in the light of a flickering torch he sees something dark lying on the floor. Harry steps closer, finds Justin-Finch-Fletchley. Lying rigid on the floor, a look of shock on his frozen face. Nearby, an inert Nearly Headless Nick floats, body teeming with black smoke.

"Oh my" Lily exclaims looking at the screen.

Kneeling, Harry notices a trail of spiders scuttling away from Justin's body and out the loose windowpane when suddenly Harry senses someone watching him, he turns to see Professor McGonagall.

"Professor, I swear I didn't"

"This is out of my hands, Potter. Mr. Filch, will you take care of this, please?" Harry's eyes shift. Filch lurks in the shadows beyond
McGonagall. He steps forward.

"Caught in the act. I'll have you out this time, Potter. Mark my words"

"Are you just always in the wrong place at the wrong time" Molly asks Harry.

"Pretty much"

As McGonagall leads Harry away, he looks back. Filch stares at Justin and Nick, then turns.

"He gives me the creeps" Rory says making some of the students laugh whilst Filch glares at her.

McGonagall marches Harry down to an ugly stone gargoyle.

"Sherbet lemon." The Gargoyle springs to life, its wings opening. "Professor Dumbledore will be waiting for you." McGonagall ushers Harry inside. It's an elevator. The Gargoyle's wings close. Harry rises to an upper floor. Harry steps out of the Gargoyle's embrace and enters a large, circular room. On a nearby shelf, the sorting hat sits. Harry casts a wary eye at the past headmasters snoozing in the portraits around him. In the last portrait, the Headmaster is awake, reading a book. He is Professor Dippet. Harry approaches the Sorting Hat, glances around, then places it atop his head.

"Why did you put it on again?" Hermione asks looking at Harry.

"Watch the screen" He mutters.

"Bee in your bonnet, Potter?

"Well, you see, I was wondering"

"If I put you in the right house? Yes you were particularly difficult to place. But I stand by what I said last year you would have done well in Slytherin." Harry strips the hat off, tosses it back onto the shelf.

"You're wrong!" The hat sits motionless. Silent. Hearing a gagging sound Harry wheels around to find an old, decrepit bird sitting on a golden perch. It wobbles and then burst into flames.

The hall fills with gasps.

"Don't worry they're supposed to do that" Rory tells them.

"Really?" Ginny asks.

"Yeah, its a Phoenix" Dumbledore smiles at her.

As Dumbledore enters, Harry looks horror struck.

"Professor, your bird. I couldn't do anything. He just caught fire."

"About time too. He's been looking dreadful for days. Pity you had to see him on a Burning Day. He's really very handsome most of the time. Fawkes is a phoenix, Harry. Phoenixes burst into flame when it is time for them to die and are reborn from the ashes." Harry looks to the floor. The ashes swirl and a baby Fawkes pokes out his wrinkled head. "Facinating creatures, phoenixes. They can carry immensely heavy loads, their tears have healing powers, and they make highly faithful pets."