OOTP 16

Rory and the twins were woken suddenly by Professor McGonagall.

"All three of you need to come with me now and we'll deal with you sleeping here another time Aurora" 

"Never did deal with it" Rory says sending McGonagall a small smile which she returns.

They all got up and quickly followed her, Ginny was waiting at the bottom of the stairs. Rory wraps an arm around her shoulder as they follow McGonagall to Dumbledores office.

"Harry — what's going on?" Ginny asked, she looked frightened as Rory wraps my arms around her tighter. "Professor McGonagall says you saw Dad hurt"

"Your father has been injured in the course of his work for the Order of the Phoenix," Dumbledore said before Harry could speak. "He has been taken to St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. I am sending you back to Sirius's house, which is much more convenient for the hospital than the Burrow. You will meet your mother there."

"How're we going?" Fred asked, looking shaken, Rory held out her hand for him which he took as she squeezed his. "Floo powder?"

"No," Dumbledore said, "Floo powder is not safe at the moment, the Network is being watched. You will be taking a Portkey." He indicated the old kettle lying innocently on his desk. "We are just waiting for Phineas Nigellus to report back. I wish to be sure that the coast is clear before sending you" There was a flash of flame in the very middle of the office, leaving behind a single golden feather that floated gently to the floor. "It is Fawkes's warning," said Dumbledore, catching the feather as it fell. "She must know you're out of your beds. Minerva, go and head her off tell her any story" Professor McGonagall was gone in a swish of tartan.

"He says he'll be delighted," said a bored voice behind Dumbledore; the wizard called Phineas had reappeared in front of his Slytherin banner. "My great-great-grandson has always had odd taste in house guests."

"Such a charming person he is" Sirius mutters.

"Come here, then," Dumbledore said to the group. "And quickly, before anyone else joins us" They all gathered around Dumbledore's desk. "You have all used a Portkey before?" asked Dumbledore, and they nodded, each reaching out to touch some part of the blackened kettle. "Good. On the count of three then one two three," The kettle pulled them onward and then their feet hit the ground so hard that their knees buckled, the kettle clattered to the ground and somewhere close at hand a voice said,

"Back again, the blood traitor brats, is it true their father's dying?"

"OUT!" roared a second voice. They all got to their feet in the gloomy basement kitchen of number twelve, Grimmauld Place. The only sources of light were the fire and one guttering candle, which illuminated the remains of a solitary supper. Kreacher was disappearing through the door to the hall, looking back at them malevolently as he hitched up his loincloth; Sirius was hurrying toward them all, looking anxious. He was unshaven and still in his day clothes. "What's going on?" he said, stretching out a hand to help Ginny up. "Phineas Nigellus said Arthur's been badly injured"

"Padfoot you're not looking so hot mate" James smirks at him as Sirius glares back.

"Ask Harry," Fred said.

"Yeah, I want to hear this for myself," George added. The twins and Ginny were staring at him. Kreacher's footsteps had stopped on the stairs outside.

"It was, I had a a kind of vision." Harry told them all what he had seen. Ron, who was still very white, gave him a fleeting look, but did not speak. When Harry had finished, Fred, George, and Ginny continued to stare at him for a moment.