HBP 2

Harry had been at the Burrow for a few weeks. It would have been a happy, peaceful holiday had it not been for the stories of disappearances, odd accidents, even of deaths now appearing almost daily in the Prophet. Sometimes Bill and Mr. Weasley brought home news before it even reached the paper. To Mrs. Weasley's displeasure, Harry's sixteenth birthday celebrations were marred by grisly tidings brought to the party by Remus, who was looking gaunt and grim, his brown hair streaked liberally with grey, his clothes more ragged and patched than ever.

"There have been another couple of dementor attacks," he announced, as Mrs. Weasley passed him a large slice of birthday cake as Rory sat next to him "And they've found Igor Karkaroff's body in a shack up north. The Dark Mark had been set over it well, frankly, I'm surprised he stayed alive for even a year after deserting the Death Eaters; Sirius's brother, Regulus, only managed a few days as far as I can remember."

Sirius sends his brother a small smile.

"Yes, well," Mrs. Weasley said, frowning, "perhaps we should talk about something diff"

"Did you hear about Florean Fortescue, Remus?" Bill asked, who was being plied with wine by Fleur. "The man who ran -"

"- the ice-cream place in Diagon Alley?" Harry interrupted. "He used to give me free ice creams. What's happened to him?"

"Dragged off, by the look of his place."

"Why?" Ron asked as Rory looked at Bill, while Mrs. Weasley pointedly glared at him. "Who knows? He must've upset them somehow. He was a good man, Florean."

"Talking of Diagon Alley," Mr. Weasley said, "looks like Ollivander's gone too."

"The wandmaker?" Ginny said, looking startled.

"That's the one. Shop's empty. No sign of a struggle. No one knows whether he left voluntarily or was kidnapped."

"What about people's wands" A few of the students said looking at eachother.

"But wands what'll people do for wands?"

"They'll make do with other makers," y
Remus said. "But Ollivander was the best, and if the other side have got him it's not so good for us." The day after this rather gloomy birthday tea, the letters and booklists arrived from Hogwarts. Harry's included a surprise: He had been made Quidditch Captain.

"That gives you equal status with prefects!" cried Hermione happily. "You can use our special bathroom now and everything!"

"Wow, I remember when Charlie wore one of these," Ron said, examining the badge with glee.

"So do I" Rory smiled.

"I love how Rory smiles at even the mention of Charlie" Alice smiles at them both.

"Harry, this is so cool, you're my Captain if you let me back on the team, I suppose, ha ha"

"Well, I don't suppose we can put off a trip to Diagon Alley much longer now you've got these," sighed Mrs. Weasley, looking down Ron's booklist. "We'll go on Saturday as long as your father doesn't have to go into work again. I'm not going there without him."

"Mum, d'you honestly think You-Know-Who's going to be hiding behind a bookshelf in Flourish and Blotts?" sniggered Ron.

"Fortescue and Ollivander went on holiday, did they?" Mrs. Weasley said, firing up at once. "If you think security's a laughing matter you can stay behind and I'll get your things myself"