13: Ready or Not

-HARRY'S POV-

*FLASHBACK*

"Why am I here?" I asked, sitting down with my mom and another lady. She had blonde hair, short. Shoulder length. My mom took hold of my hand and gave it a small squeeze.

"We need to talk." All the bad things I have ever done ran through my head. The time I broke the window when I was 12 and blamed it and Gemma. Or the time I lost my moms favorite necklace and told her I haven't seen it. What am I saying? This lady could be a cop. From when I shop lifted from the candy corner! Oh know. That's exactly who she is. "This is Chris."

"Hello," she said with a smile.

"What is it we need to talk about? I have a band rehearsal. Louis will be here soon," I said, skipping the introductions.

"Well we are adopting a teenager," my mom said.

"Wait what?"

"Her name is Carter," she continued. "She's 15. Turning 16 soon. And she will be staying with us. I called you here so you know exactly why."

"Carter is.." Chris said softly. "Carter is fragile. She has been hurt constantly by foster families. Abandoned at a young age."

"I bet he remembers her," my mom cut in.

"Who?" I asked. Chris pulled a photo out of her notebook, sliding it across the table. I picked it up, seeing the happy little girl in the picture. My heart was racing. This is what that guy said would happen.

"There's not reason to lie to you," Chris said taking the photo back. "She is the daughter of Hailee. Anne's sister. And the reason she is coming here is for protection. Also to find out who she really is and why she was put into foster care. Why she was hurt. The foster family she is with now reluctantly gave her up. They didn't want her to leave and she didn't want to leave either. They were caring loving. But right now she needs you guys."

"Does- does the man looking for her happen to be David?" I asked.

"He's called many names. His real name is Derek. And yes." I nodded, running my hands through my hair. "There is one thing I have to tell you."

"Go on," my mom said, squeezing my hand harder.

"He wants to kill her," Chris replied. "Are you ready for whatever this throws at you?" I took my moms hand and squeezed it back. I gave her a look asking her what she thought. Her nod signaled she agreed with what I was thinking.

"We're ready."

*END OF FLASHBACK*

"Harry!" Someone yelled. I jolted awake to see Keith and Tanner at the computer set up with the screen of Derek's lair on the screen. Niall was running his hands through his hair consecutively. Louis was the once who yelled. "Dammit look!" I got up from my seat, waking over to the computer. Keith studied that camera as Tanner looked more nervous that anything.

"Is that her?" I asked seeing two men carry a lifeless body. She looked almost dead.

"Should be."

~~~

-CARTER'S POV-

I was awoken with my head hitting the floor. Hard. It wasn't dark. The light coming from a single lamp in the corner was the thing showing. I was still tied up but I wasn't alone. The men were gone but someone was in the room.

"Carter?" I heard a familiar voice say.

"James!" I said relieved he was still alive.

"What are you doing here?" He asked almost upset.

"I came back for you.."

"We could have done it ourselves," Jacob mumbled.

"Shut up Jacob," I heard another voice say. Sounded a lot like Jo.

"Jo?" I asked softly.

"Yeah," she replied. "It's me." I wanted to cry out in joy as I sat tied on the cold cement floor. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I replied. "Listen. I'm going to get you guys out of here. A everyone here?"

"Not everyone," Jacob said softly.

"Who's missing?"

"Olive," Jo replied. "She's... She was killed." My heart stopped.

"Killed?" I asked shocked.

"She tried to escape," Jo replied. "He pulled the gun. And now she's gone." I sat there shocked. How could he kill someone? What am I saying? HE'S A KILLER! I scooted over towards where Jo and Jacob, putting my back towards ten.

"I have a pocket knife in my pocket," I said quietly. "Take it out and hold onto it. When I bang my head against the wall, wait till they take me out of the room. Once we are gone, take down the other way. Climb through the vent by front door. Once you're gone, run to the nearest police station and tell them you need to get home."

"What about you?" Jo asked.

"I will be fine," I said as Jacob took the knife. "Just listen to me. You need to get out if here."

"Carter?" I heard another voice say. "You're Tanners sister?"

"I am," I replied. "Are you his fiancé?"

"Margot," she replied.

"Listen to me Margot," I said sternly. "Take these two back to Tanner instead. Keep them safe."

"What about you?"

"I said I can get out by myself." I scooted back to the wall I was leaning against. "Ready?" They all nodded as I leaned on my back, lifting my legs to bang against the wall. I began to kick and bang as loud as I could. The sounds of knocks came from the door.

"Keep it down."

I banged again.

"I said KEEP IT DOWN!"

And again.

"That's it." The man came in, picking me up over his shoulder. He began to walk down the corridor leaving behind the others. Once I saw they were out, running down the wall, I stopped squirming. The man threw me down on another floor, this time it was a carpet. I slowly lifted my head. Maybe to slowly. Because the man grabbed my hair, pulling me up so I was on my knees. I winced in pain, shutting my eyes. "Open." I slowly opened seeing I was in an office. Not just anyone's..

Derek's.

"Hello Carter."

_______________