Chapter Two: Babysitting

15th of July 2014 - FitzClarence House

"Are you sure that you don't mind watching him?" William asked stepping down the bag of George's things, hesitant to intrude to much on his sister and brother-in-law for the evening. 

It had been awhile since he and Catherine had managed a date night, with both of their calendars starting to fill up it felt like the right time to get out of the house alone for the night. 

William was set to become a helicopter pilot with the East Anglian Air Ambulance which was a lot closer to home than he had been stationed in Wales during his training. 

"Of course we don't, we're happy to watch him anytime," Simon reassured him appearing from the kitchen with his nephew balanced on his hip, he was looking forward to this evening. 

What better practice could he and Adeline get for their own children in the future than using their nephew, George was turning one in about a week and the time seemed to just fly by with the little boy growing up. 

William looked nervously, it was silly and nothing would happen to George while he was with Adeline and Simon as he trusted them completely to keep his son safe. 

However, it was a little weird to be leaving him here instead of with the nanny back at Kensington but Catherine had assured him that George would be fine spending the evening with his aunt and uncle. 

It was no different from when Carole had watched him a couple of times when they had been stationed in Wales or at Anmer Hall when she insisted that they need a break. 

"You and Catherine deserve a break, we'll call if we have any questions," Adeline said smiling, she had a slight motive to wanting to spend the evening with George not that she would tell William. 

A part of her did wonder if Catherine had guessed but she knew her sister-in-law well enough to know that she wouldn't breath a word until Adeline was ready to talk about it. 

Adeline had no doubts that when the time came that they could count on William and Catherine to return the favour when they needed a break from their little one and to keep the romance going. 

William nodded his head at that, stepping forward to press a kiss to the top of George's head before looking to Adeline and Simon and making his goodbyes before he left their home.

Adeline laughed softly shaking her head making sure that the door was closed behind him, she turned to Simon who was bouncing George who seemed to enjoy the attention from his uncle before they all headed into the kitchen. 

Adeline made sure to collect the bag that William had brought over, a couple of toys inside for George along with the essentials that he might need during his time here. 

It was strange to think that in a matter of months that this place would no longer be their home, work was well underway at their expense to prepare their new residences for them to move in. 

York House was nearly complete while Barnwell Manor needed quite a bit of work doing to it, it had been left empty for many years after the Gloucester's had come to the city on a more permanent basis.

"So what shall we start with?" Simon asked George, his hand already searching through the books that they had for something to entertain the little one; his eyes landing on Rain before Rainbows which he picked up.

Adeline's heart melted a little as she watched him settle George onto lap on the flower, the book in one hand as he started to read to him. 

He would no doubt be a wonderful father when it came to it, Adeline saw how natural he was with George when he interacted with him; he was so at ease with their nephew and she knew that no one would deny that he was good with kids.