Chapter Thirty-Five: First Day of School

8th of January 2018 - Wilcocks Nursery School

The Christmas holidays had brought reason for the FitzClarence family to celebrate, Rupert had popped the question to his long-term girlfriend over Christmas although had insisted on a long engagement.

Rupert and Ellie wanted to graduate from university first before they even considered getting married, they wanted to be as independent as possible before they walked down the aisle together.

Shortly after the holidays brought another first for the Clarences, today marked Daphne and Charlotte's first day of school with both girls joining Wilcocks Nursery School.

It was hard to believe that it was that time already, it seemed like only yesterday that they were bringing her home from the hospital and now they were on the way to the school.

The short ten minute journey seemed to take forever and Adeline couldn't help but glance back at Daphne who seemed rather excited about her first day at nursery.

"Lottie will be there?" Daphne asked again peering at her parents from her car seat, she didn't want to go to school but her parents had assured her that her cousin Charlotte would also be attending.

Charlotte was her best friend, they played together all the time and went to trips to the park together; she knew that if Charlotte was going then they would have lots of fun.

"Yes. Charlotte will be there," Adeline assured her, she didn't know if the two girls would be in the same class but they would be attending the same school and she wanted her daughter to have a normal childhood as much as she could.

There were parts of her life that would always be different, there was no avoiding that but Adeline and Simon had sworn that they wanted their kids to experience normal childhood as much as possible.

Daphne nodded her head at the news, her little legs swinging in her car seat as she peered out of the window as they moved passed the Royal Albert Hall and turned left onto Queen's Gate.

Before they knew it they were pulling up outside the school, Adeline and Simon sharing a look knowing that it was going to be an emotional morning.

Getting out the car, Adeline moved to help get Daphne out when she noticed that William and Catherine were also just arriving.

"Afne," Charlotte called smiling at the sight of her cousin, the little girl waving excitedly as her mum took her hand so that they could cross the road while her dad locked up the car.

Daphne waved frantically at her cousin, sticking close to Adeline as they waited for Catherine and Charlotte to cross the road from where they had parked.

The two cousins quickly hugging while their mothers greeted one another, it was a nice day and thankfully they didn't have to contend with bad weather on a day like this.

The two families headed into the school yard, the Cambridges taking the lead as they approached the head teacher who was waiting to greet them; a small photo opportunity had been arranged for the day.

The first real glimpse that the public would have of the two girls before they entered school, an agreement that the royal family had meant that this would mean they would be allowed to attend school without disturbance.

Daphne held onto her mum's hand as Charlotte was first introduced to the head teacher before he moved forward to greet her parents.

Adeline and Simon shook the head teacher's hand and exchanged small talk before he moved to shake Daphne's hand, the little girl shyly ducking behind her mother's legs as he spoke to her.