Chapter Seventy-Five: The State Opening of Parliament

12th of November 2021 - Palace of Westminster

The invite itself had been unexpected, usually it was only the monarch, consort and the heir that attended such events; it was an unexpected choice to see Adeline attend as a companion to the Queen.

A role that Adeline saw herself occupying more and more within the family since the passing of Prince Philip, the family all understood why it had to be Adeline and no one questioned the decision for it apart from Andrew who thought it should be him.

The disgraced second son of the Queen and Prince Philip was eager to worm his way back into the limelight and return to the duties that had been taken from him when he had disgraced himself with his actions.

However, any attention that he made to return to the working royal rota had been turned down; the public would not stand for his return to royal duties not now, not ever.

That was how Adeline found herself seated beside the Queen as they made their way to Westminster for the opening of Parliament, the car was silent as the Queen went over her speech while Adeline was seated beside her.

The Queen was dressed in a light purple coat and hat, elegant embroidery lined the neck as she peered over the top of her glasses while she read.

The trip to Westminster was short, the car slowly pulling to a stop and Adeline took a deep breath as she prepared herself; the Queen moving to climb from the carriage first with Adeline following behind her.

Thanking the guard that helped her from the car; she followed the Queen through the former royal palace that now served as the location for the government knowing that it would be strange for the Queen.

This state opening of Parliament was the Queen's 67th, it was also her first major event since the death of her husband back in April and a lot had been restricted due to the world recovering from Covid.

The ceremony was different from usual protocol, being the first since the COVID-19 pandemic began with only 74 people allowed in the House of Lords when the speech was read, with a further 34 MPs and peers sitting in the Royal Gallery.

The Queen travelled from Buckingham Palace in a Range Rover instead of the traditional carriage, it was a stripped back affair even as the world started to return to normal.

TheMP Marcus Jones was taken in the opposite direction as 'hostage' for theduration as per the customs of the ceremony surrounding the Queen's speech.

Charles and Camilla arrived after them, Adeline nodding to them in greeting as they arrived to join the procession into the House of Lords with the state crown being carried in rather than the Queen wearing it.

It was perhaps the first sign for those not in the know that the Queen was unwell, the heavy crown would instead be carried on a velvet pillow rather than seated upon her head as it normally was upon her entrance.

The Queen had decided that there would be no official acknowledgement of her ill health, the fact that she was suffering from bone marrow cancer would be kept a closely guarded secret.

The last thing that she wanted was to suffer further expectation about when her life would end, she was determined to carry out her duties as best as she could with what time that she had left.

The Queen wanted nothing to detract from the coming jubilee celebrations that were planned for next year, there was much to look forward to and she knew that there had been a lot of hard work but into the plans.

Entering the chamber, the Queen lead the way towards the lonely throne that was set out for her; the consort throne having been removed because of Covid and now the death of Prince Philip.