Chapter Twenty-Seven: Loved Ones

22nd of May 2017 - Barnwell Manor

Tying her hair up out of her eyes as she tidied around the living room, Adeline couldn't help but smile as she listened to Simon do bath time with the children. 

It was nice to get away from the city and the retreat to Barnwell was just what the family needed after a busy few months; it seemed non-stop since Sebastian had been born. 

There was so much happening in the coming months, it was hard to believe how fast time was flying by and soon they would be sending Daphne off for her first day of school. 

Daphne was set to join her cousin, Charlotte, in attending Wilcocks Nursery School in January with both girls expected to start on the same day. 

This year would also mark Daphne's first appearance at trooping the colour and plans were being made for what that would entail considering Simon would be riding in the parade for the first time. 

Adeline smiled knowing that they had really been blessed and she wouldn't change anything. they had been lucky but she was happy to enjoy it while it lasted. 

There was no denying that there was trouble on the horizon no matter how much she wanted Harry to be happy; his current relationship made her nervous and she didn't know what it was about Meghan that set her on edge. 

Her constant interest in the children as well as how fast Harry's relationship with her was developing only continued to set Adeline on edge; it made her concerned for the future with Harry intent on marrying her. 

The gathering wouldn't take place until next month after Lucy's wedding and Adeline was thankful for that especially with how busy things were. 

Putting the last of the toys away, Adeline wiped her hands on her jeans before looking around the living room and moving to plop herself down on the couch. 

Sebastian was in bed and soon Daphne would be too, once Simon had finished bath time which gave Adeline a little time to herself; they took turns doing bedtime with the children and tonight was Simon's turn. 

The kitchen was all tidy and Adeline had put away the dishes from dinner that she had made, it had been a quiet day for the family and she was thankful to be away from any wedding drama or relationship drama that might pop up. 

Lucy had been for her final wedding dress fitting and had text to say that she loved her dress, which she was hiding in the manor until the wedding day.

While Harry was supposed with Meghan at Nottingham Cottage, a little upset that his girlfriend would not be able to attend the coming FitzClarence wedding in June not even as a reception guest like she had done for Pippa's wedding. 

Turning on the television, Adeline skipped the channels before setting on a repeat of some comedy show that was on television; she put her feet up on the couch as she listened to Simon get Daphne out of the bath and start to get her ready for bed. 

It wasn't long before Daphne was down for the night and Simon appeared plopping down on the couch next to Adeline who laughed. 

"Who was getting the bath again? You or Daphne?" Adeline teased eyeing the wet shirt that her husband was wearing, he rolled his eyes and wrapped an arm around her making her swat him away. 

Daphne was definitely a water baby, she loved anything to do with it and it was often hard to keep the water in the bath no matter how hard they tried. 

The two of them settled into comfortable silence, chatting occasionally and commenting about what they were watching as the hours slipped by until the programme they were watching was interrupted.