Chapter Sixty-Three: Commonwealth Day 2020

9th of March 2020 - Westminster Abbey

Climbing out of the car, Adeline took a deep breath as she stared ahead at Harry and Meghan who were making their way into the abbey; today would be their last appearance as working members of the royal family. 

The negotiations were over, an agreement had been reached with the Sussexes having a year trial period before anymore major decisions were made and they moved forward with their 'freedom'. 

Making their way up the steps of the abbey, there was no hiding the last minute changes to the programme that had been printed in advance; a programme that had the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge walking in the procession. 

Instead at the last minute, William and Catherine had opted to enter like the others to stop the tantrum that Harry had been throwing at also not being allowed to walk in the procession. 

Adeline and Simon greeted those at the entrance before making their way down the aisle to their seats, beside the Sussexes; tension filling the air as they took their seats that anyone could see plainly.

Edward and Sophie were seated on their left with Harry and Meghan on their right, the tension was hard to escape even as they waited for the Queen to arrive. 

Meghan stared at Adeline, her eyes locked on her as she fixed her blue dress clearly showing anyone who was paying attention whose side in all of this she was taking; while Meghan had dressed in Clarence green. 

Simon didn't even acknowledge either of them, his hand holding onto Adeline's as the Cambridges made their entrance; Catherine and William greeting them but not saying anything to Harry and Meghan. 

It wasn't long before the Queen followed by Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall made their entrance, the tension in the air only growing as they took their seats beside William and Catherine before the service started. 

The annual service was a celebration of the 54 member states: their differences, their common ground, what they have achieved together and what they hopes to achieve in the future. 

The Queen has been Head of the Commonwealth since she acceded to the throne in 1952, but pledged her life to the service of Commonwealth citizens years before she became Queen. 

The organisation has grown far beyond its initial membership of eight nations in 1949 with many still lining up to join the Commonwealth in the future. 

The service that was always held in the splendid surroundings of Westminster Abbey, comprised of traditional hymns and readings alongside national song and dance performances and more modern acts. 

Often performers and speakers hail from Commonwealth countries or have grown up in the UK with Commonwealth heritage. 

The Queen is supported in her work by working members of the Royal Family who often travel to the furthest corners of the Commonwealth to see projects in action. 

Nations are constantly working together on a huge variety of projects, from gender equality to the environment, the shipping trade to avoidable blindness. 

Adeline and Simon were quiet as they listened to the service, the two of them holding hands discretely as they enjoyed the normalcy that came from attending such a service. 

It was hard to ignore the tension that lingered in the air, the Sussexes would be flying to Canada that afternoon, no time being wasted and even though Meghan had joined Harry back in the UK, Archie still remained in Canada. 

Shifting bored in his seat, Harry glared at the back of William's head as he thought about the part that his own brother had played in the negotiations that had seen him loss so much.