Chapter Seventy-Two: The Commonwealth Literature Awards 2021

25th of May 2021 - Royal Albert Hall

There was nothing that could stop Adeline, not even the release of Harry's The Me You Can't See documentary series on mental health that had streamed on Apple TV which had been hosted alongside Oprah. 

The programme had dropped only two days before and Adeline had been furious that her brother had dropped such a thing only days away from her own big event that had been on the slate for months with a follow to come in five days' time. 

No doubt the dates had been picked to overshadow Adeline's awards ceremony as some sort of payback for the slight that Harry imagined that she had caused him. 

Dressed up for the occasion, Adeline climbed from the car and waved to the waiting crowds as she did so; she had put eighteen months of work into tonight and she was going to enjoy it no matter what. 

Adeline was so thankful that they had managed to pull it together like they had, she had feared because of Covid that the first event would need to be done via streaming but things were loosening up now. 

The shortlisted nominees had been announced on 19 March 2021, with many categories planned and awards prepared for the occasion; a red carpet rolled out just like if you were attending the BAFTAs or the Oscars. 

Teasers and hints had been dropped for weeks leading up to the awards, Adeline was thrilled to see all her hard work come together and she was eager for this night to be a success. 

It was made even better by the fact that Simon was by her side tonight, her husband taking her hand as they made their way along the blue carpet that had been laid out for the event. 

Simon wasn't the only guest of honour this evening, both William and Catherine were in attendance; a united front from the two families in the wake of the attacks from Harry and Meghan. 

There was no hiding the full force display from the royals this evening, Catherine rewearing a green dress that she had worn during the Pakistan tour that they had taken in 2019 with the Duchess of Cambridge presenting the Children's Fiction Book of the Year.

 William had opted for a colour that matched in with his wife's dress, copying the style that Simon wore that complimented Adeline's dress; he was also set to present an award this evening, Non-fiction: Narrative Book of the Year. 

William pulled Adeline into a one arm hug and pressed a kiss to her cheek in greeting, the crowds cheering at the sight of the young royals thrilled at the sight of having both sets of couples take part in this evening. 

There had been questions rising on if Adeline would be the only royal in attendance this evening because she was the patron and organiser of the event; there had been whispers that Simon would attend but not this. 

Simon hugged Catherine, the foursome pausing as they turned to the crowds as the cameras flashed; people calling out to the royals, no doubts on what the front pages of the papers would look like tomorrow. 

Whatever issues that Harry and Meghan were bleating about in their documentaries and interviews, clearly weren't affecting the others as they graced the blue carpet. 

This year seemed to be a big year for projects with William launching the Earthshot Prize this year, the ceremony expected to take place in November at Alexandra Palace for the global environmental award. 

Now seeing William turn up for his sister's event, there were questions if Adeline would be making an appearance at her brother's; the strong relationship between these two siblings on full display. 

Making their way into the Royal Albert Hall, the foursome were clearly in good spirits; the cameras taking in their every move as they welcomed their celebrity guests and those who would also be hosting this evening.