Chapter Eighty-Seven: Big Jubilee Lunch

5th of June 2022 - Morecambe

As part of the celebrations, people were encouraged to have a Big Jubilee Lunch on 5 June, the last day of the extended bank holiday, to enable communities to celebrate their connections and get to know each other better. 

More than 85,000 people signed up to host Big Lunches and 16,000 street parties were held across the United Kingdom. 

A platinum jubilee picnic in Windsor was expected to become the longest ever held, breaking a record set in Memphis, Tennessee, in 2019. The organiser said the party would involve a 500-metre-long table – 100 yards longer than the previous record, set at the May International Festival in Memphis. 

The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall attended a lunch at The Oval cricket ground in south London, where a 12-metre-long cake prepared by the National Bakery School was served. 

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge joined a lunch in Ladbroke Grove, and earlier the Duchess and her three children had baked cakes for a street party in Cardiff. 

The Earl and Countess of Wessex and Forfar joined a lunch near Windsor Castle while Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie attended a lunch organised by Westminster City Council for local volunteer and community groups who responded to the crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. 

The UK's longest ever street party was held in Morecambe, where 500 tables were set up over the length of 1.6 miles which was where Adeline and Simon would be attending that morning. 

Carrying food that they had prepared with their children for the street party, the couple smiled as they approached the first of the 500 tables that had been set up with the organisers thrilled to have the royals there. 

It seemed like they had travelled all over the UK for this weekend, today marking the last day of celebrations for the platinum jubilee with the platinum pageant set to take place in the afternoon. 

There were hopes that the Queen might be able to make an appearance since it had already been confirmed that she would not be able to attend the pageant itself since her doctors did not recommend it. 

Pageant attendees with vehicles (including Daleks, motorbikes and bicycles) the buses and the celebrities riding them, first assembled at Horse Guards Parade in the early morning to prepare for the Pageant. 

This also included numerous interviews with news crews and journalists. 

"Your Royal Highness, Your Grace," the main organizer said in greeting, when they had been told that the royals would be attending the luncheon that they planned to celebrate the Platinum Jubilee. 

There were many celebrations happening all across the country and most of the royals seemed to have stuck a lot closer to the capital for the celebrations and the parties that they were attending. 

Despite the anti-monarchy talks that continued to rise up with every royal occasion, there had been a great turn out to all events that were being hosted in honour of the Queen's Platinum Jubilee. 

Adeline and Simon spent the next hour meeting with all the volunteers that had helped put together the event and even some of the guests who were excited to be greeted by the royal couple. 

It wasn't every day that you got to meet a royal, much less a couple who had such a high popularity rating as Adeline and Simon; the latest YouGov polling stated that they were just behind the Queen who had 75% popularity. 

William had 66% while Catherine had 68%, Adeline had come in at 71% with Simon ranking at 69% just above Catherine; with the Princess Royal coming next in the polling.