Chapter Twenty-Nine: Esther Hervey, Marchioness of Bristol

10th of July 2017 - St Mary's Church, Ickworth

It had been a long discussion about where Esther Hervey, Marchioness of Bristol would be buried as she had never stated where she wished to be interred. 

There had been talk of returning her body to the Nassau, The Bahamas so that she could be buried beside her parents and siblings that had been laid to rest there. 

Anne and Mary having quarrelled something fierce about their mother's final resting place, neither of them being able to agree where their mother should be laid to rest and George had certainly been no help. 

It had been Frederick that had come up with a plan, he had adored Esther who had been nothing short of his favourite former step-mother and he had been the one to offer up the family tomb as a location. 

The present Marquess of Bristol had always had a soft spot for his older sisters by his father's third marriage and he knew that it was only right that she was laid to rest in such a grand place. 

Esther Hervey had been the first black marchioness in British history, she had paved the way for things that were happening now setting the trend in many ways for future generations. 

It was a quaint little place, anyway from the prying eyes of those that would wish to disturb those who came to mourn. 

Watching the coffin being lifted from the hearse, Anne still couldn't wrap her head around the fact that it was time to say goodbye to her mother.

She had refused outright to return to FitzClarence Manor after Esther's death, she couldn't bare to be in the house where her mother had died. 

George linked her arm as they slowly made their way into the church, he held his head high ignoring the glare from Mary who was behind them with her husband. 

He thought his sister was rather petty about the entire situation, it wasn't like Anne had done anything wrong; no one could stop death when it came for you. 

It had been Esther's time to pass on, there wasn't anything that anyone could have done for her and now it was time for them to say goodbye. 

Anne found it hard to look away from the coffin, unable to believe that this had finally come and her mother wasn't coming back. 

A part of her was thankful for the years that they'd spent together, they'd lived together since she had come back to the UK for Simon's wedding and it had given her much needed time with her mother.

Anne wouldn't change a moment of the last couple of years, she knew that Mary had wanted their mother to live with her and her family but Esther hadn't felt comfortable with that especially since they had been in the process of moving. 

Christopher had inherited the title of Marquess of Winchester only last year after the death of his father, although there wouldn't be an official announcement of Nigel Paulet's death for a couple of years. 

Not that Mary had disguised the fact that she was pleased with the fact that she was now a higher rank than her older sister; Anne would always be a Countess while Mary was now a Marchioness. 

George didn't care either way, unlike his sister he had no title and he had no right to one; he had always been the odd one out when they were growing up. 

Frederick Hervey and his two sisters: Lady Victoria Hervey and Lady Isabella Hervey were also in attendance to support their older half sisters in their grief. 

The connection between the remaining Hervey children remaining strong even after the death of their older half-brothers Frederick and Nicholas. 

Things might not have been easy but they had improved slowly after the death of their father; allowing the younger three Hervey children to move back to the UK.