Chapter Forty-Four: Hurtful Words

20th of September 2018 - York House

Adeline was not sure what she had expected from Harry when he had arrived at her home that morning, she should have known that it would be some sort of complaint about how Meghan was being treated.

The stories were coming in thick and fast now, comparisons between royal women were common and there was no escaping the complaints of Thomas from across the pond.

It made Adeline feel relieved that she didn't have to deal with either of them more than needed in the coming weeks with a royal tour already being planned for the Sussexes in October. 

"You need to be more supportive of Meghan. She's not getting sufficient support, respect, or friendship from this family. She should be just as appreciated like our mother was," Harry insisted looking to his sister knowing that she had pulled back quite a bit as of late. 

There seemed little that Meghan could do right in the eyes of the people, whether it was how she acted in public or the clothes that she wore in engagements to supporting friends during events. 

"Meghan isn't mum, she's nothing like her," Adeline said shaking her head, she would never understand why her brother was so set on making his wife out to be a copy of their mother. 

Diana had won the hearts of people through her hard work and actually caring for those she met, she'd left a lasting impression that people still talked about to this day. 

It was strange seeing Meghan walk around in items that belonged to her mother, wearing the same perfume that her mother had favoured that brought back so many memories for her. 

In the four months since Meghan had married into the family, she had undertaken twenty-six engagements: at Ascot, a polo match, weddings, Wimbledon, and visits to the theatre including the musical Hamilton

Her proper royal duties were a day's visit to Sussex, a service in Westminster Abbey, a charity board meeting, and a trip to Ireland. 

Low-key visits to charities like those undertaken by Adeline, Princess Anne, Philip, and other members of the Royal family were low in interest to Meghan. 

There was no ignoring the growing reports combined with her wish to be outspoken, it aroused suspicions from those closest to the Royal Family about Meghan's motives for marrying Harry. 

"You're not even trying to be support of us," Harry scoffed shaking his head, he didn't know why Adeline was being such a bitch about all of this; it was like she was trying to get back at him for how he treated her and Simon. 

It had been years ago, Adeline was petty if she was trying to hurt Meghan to get back for him not being support of his best friend screwing about with his little sister behind his back. 

"She's an adult. She doesn't need someone to hold her hand all the time," Adeline disagreed, she knew for a fact that they had offered to let Meghan shadow another royal; someone to show her the ropes but Meghan had refused saying that she knew what she was doing. 

Her aunt Sophie had been the one to offer help, to show Meghan how things were done and to take her time in learning the role that she now occupied. 

Hell, the Queen had even offered to allow Meghan to continue acting at first, but Meghan had turned her down saying that she wanted to be supportive of Harry in his position in the royal family. 

"You don't get it. We need you to have our backs or you are part of the problem," Harry snapped frustratedly, he ran his fingers through his hair as he turned away from Adeline unable to believe this.