Chapter Seventy-Eight: Happy New Year

31st of December 2021 - Sandringham

"I think it really suits you," Catherine said admiring the hair cut that Adeline had gotten, when her sister-in-law had mentioned that she had wanted to make a change but she hadn't expected it to happen to fast. 

It was strange not seeing Adeline's long brown locks covering her shoulders, but it was a look that suited her and Catherine knew that it was something that Adeline had wished to do for awhile now. 

Adeline beamed at her sister-in-law, the New Year gathering at Sandringham felt rather different; they all knew what a big year this was for the Queen, as well as the dark secret that she was harbouring. 

"I don't think the twins were thrilled with it, poor Albie burst into tears when he saw me," Adeline said shaking her head, she had felt horrible that her son had reacted so badly to the sight of her. 

He wouldn't even let her comfort him, cuddling into Simon's arms while he tried to reassure their youngest son that it was just mummy; Helena hadn't been much better. 

"Poor Albie," Catherine said with a laugh, she could only imagine how the two year old had reacted to such a change; she couldn't imagine how Louis would react to the sight of her with her hair cut short. 

Catherine had never cut her hair as short as Adeline had done, she liked her hair long and while she had experimented with it in other ways; she didn't think that she could pull off the cut that Adeline had gotten. 

"He was really traumatised, even now he looks at me like he doesn't know who I am," Adeline murmured, she doubted he would forgive her anytime soon until her hair was back to its normal length at least. 

Catherine laughed again, she thrilled at being a mother and getting to spend as much time as she did with her own children; they were the ones that took priority no matter what was happening in her life. 

The room was filled with joyful laughter and amusement, the place where they could all be themselves away from the prying eyes of the world especially with everything that was going on. 

This marked the second Christmas that the Sussexes had not spent with the royal family despite the open invitation, no doubt they would stay away until they had nothing else to sell about them. 

There seemed to be a sadness in the air that none of them could avoid, the fact that this could very well be the Queen's last Christmas was not something that could nor would be forgotten.

The Queen's Christmas speech still fresh in everyone's minds, dressed in red the Queen had spoken about the sadness about losing her husband, of final partings and about the celebrations to come in the new year. 

It was clear signal to those in the know that the Queen was thinking of her own end now, Operation London Bridge was on the minds of everyone in the know; details being checked and prepared even now. 

"I thought that me getting bangs was dramatic," Catherine noted with a soft laugh, she had no doubts that the media would have something to say about Adeline cutting her hair in such a matter would spark a conversation. 

There would be many that would say that Adeline was inspired by her mother for her hair style, Diana's notably short hair was a feature everyone knew about and associated with her. 

"I needed a change especially with everything going on right now, my hair is one of the few things in my control," Adeline murmured with a shake of her head, she knew that there would be many that would talk about the timing of the change. 

It was just hair and Adeline didn't know why anyone would make such a big deal about it, it would grow back eventually and it wasn't like she was going to keep it short.