Chapter Twenty-Three: Turning Two Already

22nd of February 2017 - Highgrove House

"I can't believe that she's two already," Charles noted as he watched Daphne play with her cousins in the garden that he had been designing for his grandchildren. 

He had been thrilled when Adeline had asked if he would mind hosting the small party that they were throwing for Daphne for her birthday. 

It was family only afterall and it was a refreshing change from the halls of York House where the family were so often based these days. 

"It does seem to fly by," Anne said softly shaking her head, she had never imagined that she would be in this situation especially after her cancer diagnoses just before Simon had gotten married. 

Now her second grandchild was due any day now and her eldest daughter would be getting married this year; her life had truly gotten better after she had been told that she had beaten cancer. 

"The gardens look beautiful, even in the winter... I am sure it'll be marvellous in the summer for the children. I might have to do something similar at the manor," Anne noted looking around, Daphne and the baby wouldn't be her only grandchildren that she was sure. 

Lucy and Celina had mentioned using a sperm donor to have a child of their own or adopting while Rupert and Ellie were still together despite them both now focusing on their studies. 

Like Charles, she had strong hopes that she would get moments like this to have her own grandchildren running around and playing; their laughter filling the air as they played games. 

There was a lovely little playhouse in the corner and she could see the vegetable and fruit patch that was being put in for the children to grow things in the garden. 

"I don't suppose they've told you what they're having," Charles mused as he watched Daphne with her cousins, it was heart-warming to see them so carefree. 

They had no idea what the future would hold for each of them and he truly looked forward to seeing each of his grandchildren grow up. 

"Not a word. I still think it's a boy," Anne insisted knowing that she had been right when Daphne had been born, she had felt rather smug that she'd been able to guess the gender of her first grandchildren. 

With her mother's slowly declining health, Anne knew that this could be the last child born into the family that her mother gotten to witness. 

"I don't mind either way, although I am sure that the press will have a field day either way," Charles said smiling, he knew that he would love any child that his daughter had.

It was an honour that he got to be her father, the grandfather to her children and he intended to make sure that he made as many memories with all his grandchildren. 

Charles recalled fondly the time that he had spent with his grandmother, his memories of his grandfather had long since disappeared as he had only been three years old when he had passed. 

There were times when he was younger that his grandmother had been his greatest support especially in those early days of his mother's reign. 

It was a fate that he didn't wish on his own son, to step in a role that required most of his time when he had two young children who needed both of their parents. 

"I am sure they will, I am surprised how welcoming they have been to me and my family," Anne admitted quietly, it had been a concern of hers when Simon had announced his attention to marry Adeline. 

There had always been the chance that things wouldn't end well especially because Simon and his family weren't white. However, apart from some minor commenting on his maternal family history it seemed like they had come out the other side relatively unharmed.