Chapter Six: The Royal Variety Performance 2014

13th of November 2014 - London Palladium

Simon's thirtieth birthday had been a quiet affair, celebrated between the family since there had been news that Anne would have surgery in the coming month to remove the last of the cancerous cells before finishing her treatment. 

At twenty-five weeks pregnant, Adeline could hardly believe that her pregnancy was progressing so quickly and her baby was now the size of a head of cauliflower. 

There was still no news on what they were having and Adeline was relieved for that, she still wanted to wait until the baby was born to find out what the little one was going to be. 

Tonight however marked a little change in the Clarence schedule; with Catherine still unwell from her pregnancy, the Queen had asked Simon and Adeline to step in for tonight's recording of the royal variety performance. 

It had been eight years since Adeline had last attended the royal variety, she had been with her father then since Camilla had been ill but now she would be attending in her own right. 

Although she would not deny that it was all rather amusing, it had been at her last performance that she'd revealed to her father that she was seeing someone and had felt comfortable sharing that with him. 

Now she was attending with Simon as her husband, who looked rather dashing in his suit that he had chosen for the event while Adeline had finally moved into maternity wear with little choice now her bump was getting so big. 

Climbing from the car, Adeline waved to the crowds who cheered at the sight of the princess and her duke as they made their way along their red carpet towards the people that were gathered to greet them. 

Simon stood back allowing Adeline to shake hands and greet people first before following after her, a little boy offering his wife some flowers which she gratefully took and thanked him for. 

Behind them followed Adeline's new private secretary, Kamari following after them making sure that everything went well and stepping in when needed to make sure that Adeline's hands were free as she climbed the steps.

Then they were moved onto to the royal booth where they would be seating, Adeline was relieved that the stairs had a railing that she could use and Simon was there to help her climb; she felt like her sense of balance had shifted as she progressed through her pregnancy. 

"Ladies and Gentlemen please welcome Jack Topping and the fanfare trumpeters of the band of the royal artillery," the announcer called to the audience, all craning their necks for at the royal box to see the arrival of the royals. 

When the news had been a closely guarded secret but the last minute change had been noted when it had broken that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge would not be attending and had been replaced at the last minute. 

"Please be upstanding for Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Clarence and His Grace The Duke of Clarence," the announcer said causing the audience to get to their feet and a round of applause as Adeline and Simon appeared in the royal box. 

The trumpeters played their salute, they stood before their seats and looked out over the crowded room as the national anthem started to play. 

The choir boy who sang along with the trumpeters as they played the national anthem looked nervous as he gazed up at the royal box; he sung it beautiful and once the national anthem had finished playing, the couple took their seats as the band left the stage. 

"Your Royal Highness, Your Grace, Lords, Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome your host for the evening, Michael McIntyre," the announcer called as the curtains lifted revealing the host of that evening to the audience.