Chapter Seventeen: The Royal Tour of South Africa

23rd of November 2015 - Cape Town, South Africa

"Have we got everything?" Adeline asked smoothing out her dress so that Daphne was wrinkling it for when they disembarked the plane; she had changed since they had arrived and she knew that everyone was waiting for the royals to make an appearance.

There had been much enthusiasm since the announcement that the Duke and Duchess of Clarence would be making their first international visit together with their daughter coming with them.

At nine months old, Daphne was the source of much interest from the public; it would be the first time that people had seen the little girl since her christening pictures had been released.

"I think we have," Simon confirmed checking one last time that they'd left nothing behind, he knew that everyone was waiting for them to leave; no one else in their entourage could make a move until they did.

The cars were out front and the President of South Africa and other important officials were outside waiting for them to make their appearance.

No doubt their arrival would be televised, everyone was eager to see the royal couple and their daughter especially since this was their first international trip as a family and they would be here for seven days.

Adeline nodded her head before taking a step towards the door, she thanked the pilot and co-pilot before she stepped out into the warm South African air and to the cheers of the crowd.

She paused on the top step of the stairs with Simon joining her, the two of them sharing a smile and a wave to the crowds that had gathered to welcome them to the country before they made their way down the steps.

Simon helping Adeline as they descended the steps so that she didn't trip while she was carrying Daphne, the little girl had been so well behaved on the flight over and she looked so cute in the dress that she was wearing.

It matched the colour of her mother's dress and the tie that her father was wearing, Adeline shifted her hold on Daphne as they approached the welcoming party.

"Your Royal Highness," President Zuma greeted with a warm smile, he shook Adeline's hand knowing that if this visit went successfully then the Clarences popularity would rub off on him.

There had been calls for his resignation in recent months and while he was resisting, he knew that he needed a change of fate and the Clarences could well be what he needed.

"Mr. President," Adeline replied politely, she had heard much of the president during her briefings in preparation for the royal tour; there was much riding on this trip going well and the government were eager to showcase their strong alliance with South Africa.

A royal visit was just how they did that, they had considered Canada but there were fears that the trip would be compared to the one that the Cambridges made when George was a toddler.

"You have a very beautiful daughter, we hope that your time here in South Africa," President Zuma stated smiling at Daphne, he offered his finger for the toddler to take for a small shake.

His smile growing as Daphne took it without hesitation and babbled slightly, the pictures would be around the world in moments; there was a lot of talk about Daphne joining her parents on the tour.

"Your Grace. I trust your flight went well," President Zuma said turning to greet Simon, he was most pleased that these had been the royals that the royal family had decided to send.

It would have certainly been a missed opportunity for the royals to send anyone else, there were a lot of warm sentiments for the Clarences because of Simon and Daphne.