Chapter Sixty-Two: Japanese State Visit

14th of January 2020 - Buckingham Palace

"Red is the colour of war is it not," Catherine teased wrapping her sister-in-law up in a one armed hug, a smile on her face as she took in the outfit that Adeline was wearing for the state banquet in honour of Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako.

It was their first overseas visit since Naruhito acceded to the throne in May last year and there was a lot riding on the state visit after the sudden announcement that the Sussexes were stepping down.

There had been a lot of behind the scenes talks after that announcement, with Meghan having flown back to Vancouver shortly after the announcement had been made that they would be stepping back.

Harry was left alone to deal with the fall out, his requests that Meghan be allowed to join the negotiations via phone or FaceTime had been denied by the Palace in fear that they would be recorder.

"Red and white are prominent traditional colours in Japan. Both colours are used in decorations at events which represent happiness and joy," Adeline disputed with a smile in return.

It had taken a lot of consideration to pick out the outfit that she was wearing, the Queen Mary Fringe tiara upon her head borrowed from the Queen for such a special occasion.

Catherine laughed and nodded her head, she was sure there would be much discussion on what Adeline had opted to wear for the occasion; there always was and there was so much attention these days because of the Sussexes.

There was no escaping the speculation, the only statements on the matter coming from Buckingham Palace while the rest of the royals were silent on the matter.

"You look stunning," Simon interrupted stopping beside his wife and Catherine, he smiled at her and offered a hug to Catherine knowing everyone was on edge right now with the Sussex mess still in the air.

There were more stories coming out of China to be considered as well, the virus now officially called COVID-19 was already starting to claim lives; with investigations on-going on how this had all started.

"You don't look so bad yourself," Adeline grinned taking his hand, she was so thankful that he was here with her; they always had each other back and that wasn't going to change now.

Simon squeezed Adeline's hand, a warm smile on his face knowing that she had been rather nervous about the public reaction to Harry and Meghan stepping back.

There had been a large debate since the announcement, it had been expected with some claiming that Meghan had been targeted by the press because she was a black woman; that Harry was right to defend his wife and North America was a natural refuge from Britain's intolerance.

There was much discussion on such subjects, that 'structural racism and sexism' after 400 years could not be overturned overnight and that Meghan was a brave black woman being hunted by racists.

However there were those quick to point out that Simon had no such issues, his own family history a testament to how things were changing for the better in Britain.

People pointed out how welcome Simon and his family were within the royal family, that Esther Hervey had been the first black Marchioness in British history.

That Daphne, Sebastian, Helena and Albert were all so well treated and welcomed within the royal family; both sides of their heritage being celebrated with images from the trip to the Bahamas being shown.

Meghan's lack of interest in her royal responsibilities were brought up, the small number that she'd actually done in the eighteen months that she'd been a working senior royal compared to Catherine and Adeline.