Chapter Thirteen: The Christening

19 April 2015

The Duke and Duchess of Clarence have asked the following people to be godparents to Lady Daphne, all of whom are friends or family of The Duke and Duchess of Clarence:

Mr James Middleton

Lady Lucille FitzClarence

Lady Melissa van Straubenzee

Mr Peter Phillips

###

St Mary Magdalene Church, Sandringham

"I can't still believe you're a mummy," Melissa said shaking her head as she looked down at Daphne who was held securely in her arms, she had been honoured to be asked to be godmother to Adeline's first born. 

The two had remained good friends all these years and Melissa had even asked Adeline to be her maid-of-honour when she had gotten married to Thomas van Straubenzee back in 2013; her husband being a close friend and schoolmate of Prince William and Prince Harry. 

He had even travelled with William on a royal tour back in 2005, and had been asked to stand as a godfather for the coming child that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were expecting. 

"I can't wait to have some of my own," Melissa admitted softly, she knew that she could trust Adeline and she had expressed her deep concerns about her marriage to Thomas. 

Things just weren't working anymore and she feared that they were heading down a path that they would not recover from; it was the main reason she'd put her dreams of being a mother on hold. 

 "I'm sure it'll happen for you, you'd make a great mum," Adeline encouraged her, she wouldn't discuss Melissa's marriage issues here as it wasn't the time and place but she was always here if her friend needed someone to vent to about her issues. 

Holding off on having children was a smart move especially if the marriage was in difficulty, Thomas' behaviour was getting out of hand and Melissa was struggling to deal with his hot and cold behaviour. 

Melissa had only voiced her concerns to Adeline but she was sure that there was another woman in the picture, he was home late from work all the time and would leave the room to take phone calls. 

"She's perfect you know, everyone's dying for the first proper glimpse of her," Melissa said recalling what she had seen in the papers, only a glimpse had been given of the newest royal; a picture that had been posted with the announcement of her name. 

Daphne was the talk of the town, everyone eager for more but understanding that the Duke and Duchess of Clarence would post more pictures when they were ready. 

Adeline was still on maternity leave, not expected to properly return to her work until September; after the birth of the Cambridges baby, they would retreat to Barnwell Manor for the summer.

Catherine's second child was expected the last week of April, although the press were already setting themselves up outside the Lindo Wing in case the baby arrived sooner than that. 

The countdown was on and people were already trying to guess what the baby would be, would George be getting a little brother or a little sister. 

The newest Cambridge was a very likely playmate for Daphne, the two cousins only having a couple of months between them and would likely share mile stones as they grew up.