Chapter Twelve: The Burial of Richard III

26th of March 2015 - Leicester Cathedral

Despite only giving birth the month before, Adeline had not been able to say no when the Queen had asked her to represent her at the reburial of Richard III. 

The historical event was not one that came up every day, the former King of England had been found buried in a car park back in 2012 and after a long dispute would now be laid to rest in Leicester Cathedral. 

Back in 2012, an archaeological excavation was commissioned by Philippa Langley with the assistance of the Richard III Society on the site previously occupied by Grey Friars Priory. 

The University of Leicester identified the skeleton found in the excavation as that of Richard III as a result of radiocarbon dating, comparison with contemporary reports of his appearance, identification of trauma sustained at the Battle of Bosworth Field and comparison of his mitochondrial DNA with that of two matrilineal descendants of his sister Anne. 

It was all very interesting if Adeline was honest and she had been more than eager to attend the event as the Queen's representee. 

Anne had been more than happy to watch Daphne for a few hours with Simon accompanying her to the service, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester were also attending with the Duke expected to give a ready at the service. 

Climbing from the car, Adeline smoothed out her black dress and smiled at the Archbishop of Canterbury who was at the door awaiting the Duke and Duchess' arrival; he shook Adeline's hand first and spoke with her briefly before shaking Simon's hand. 

The mood was sombre although many craned their necks for a glimpse of the Duke and Duchess of Clarence as they disappeared into the church. 

Simon and Adeline made their way down the aisle following after the page that had been tasked with leading them to their seats; the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester already in place and offered the two short greetings. 

The cathedral was filled with people, from people that were descendants in some way or another of the former king to those who had played him on stage. 

It was a lovely gathering that included those who had worked hard to find the former king, it was a nice day even if Adeline was a bit wary since this was the longest that she'd left Daphne since she'd been born. 

The service started and the narrow coffin that housed the remains of the former King was brought inside, it was thinner than Adeline had expected but she knew that the skeleton wouldn't need much space compared to a human body.

The Duke of Gloucester gave a lovely reading and then there was a hymn sung by the crowd, the coffin being moved further into the Cathedral; the royals following after it as it was carried to where it would be buried. 

There had been much discussion on what the top of the grave would look like, almost as much as the argument on where the body should go. 

Adeline clasped her hands before her as the Archbishop read his prayer before the body was slowly lowered into the grave by the solders that had brought the coffin into the Cathedral. 

Another prayer was read when the coffin was in it's place, the straps that had been used to lower the coffin were placed inside the grave as the Archbishop stood above the grave and sprinkled dirt into the gave as he offered another prayer to the fallen King. 

Once returned to their seats, there was a reading from Benedict Cumberbatch who had played the former King in the Hallow Crown. 

A hymn was then sung as Benedict was lead back to his seat followed by a few more readings and prayers with blessings being said for Queen Elizabeth II.