Chapter Forty-Three: Golden Eagles

21st of August 2018 - South of Scotland

There seemed to be no escaping the Thomas Markle drama that plagued the family with each passing day; Adeline was more than grateful for the distraction as things seemed to go from bad to worse in that regard. 

Thomas Markle was not a man to be ignored, his face ever present on television in one form or another as he talked to the press about how Meghan had abandoned him and was not taking his calls anymore. 

The South of Scotland Golden Eagle Project was the perfect distraction for Adeline, her newest patronage aimed to reinforce the small, isolated, and vulnerable population of Golden Eagles in the Scottish Borders and Dumfries & Galloway. 

Through a series of translocations over a period of five years, the project aimed to increase numbers and prevent the loss of Scotland's National Bird from Southern Skies. 

Adeline had been honoured when they had asked her to come on board as their royal patron, most would be clamouring to secure the Duchess of Sussex as their patron at a time like this. 

Climbing from her car, Adeline smiled as she spotted the director of the project knowing that this was a moment that she would never forget and that was the reason that she had brought Daphne with her. 

The location of the release would be kept a firm secret to give the birds a fighting chance of survival in their first few weeks and Adeline had been more than willing to agree to that. 

Pictures would be taken to confirm the event as well as showcase Adeline's work during what was considered the royal summer break from duties. 

The Queen and Prince Philip were already in Balmoral, Charles and Camilla were at Birkhall were William and Catherine were currently visiting them with the children while Harry and Meghan were still in London from what Adeline knew. 

The FitzClarences had headed off on their own holidays, Simon and her having retreated to their own Scottish home with Anne, Lucy and Celina, and Rupert and Ellie in attendance. 

It was only Susan who had refused to join them, she was still on the outs with the family after Anne had announced that she was seeing someone; Edmund thus far remaining a part of Anne's life despite not meeting the family. 

"Good afternoon," Adeline greeted once she had Daphne out of the car, she held her daughter's hand as they approached Dr Cat Barlow who was the Project Manager for the organisation. 

"Good afternoon, Your Royal Highness," Cat greeted, she bobbed into a curtsy before offering her hand so that Adeline could shake it; she was impressed by the strong firm handshake that she got from Adeline. 

Then she turned to Daphne, the little girl holding onto her mother's hand as she stared up at the lady that she was speaking with; her curls perfectly styled on top of her head, and she was wearing a miniature outfit of what her mother was wearing. 

"My Lady," Cat said greeting Daphne, it was the first time that the little girl had been addressed as such a formal manner considering how little the public saw of her. 

Making their way across the field as Cat talked about their mission towards the cages where the birds were being held before their release; she pointed out the members of her team that were with her that day. 

Daphne kept a tight hold of her mother's hand as they made their approach, her eyes curiously taking in everything as they made their way towards the crates.

"What are their names?" Daphne asked looking up at Cat with curious eyes, as they came to a stop next to the crates that held the birds; they were green and gave nothing away about what lay inside of each of the four crates.