Chapter Eleven: Lady Daphne FitzClarence

23rd of February 2015 - York House

The first visitors that arrived the day after the Clarences had returned home were the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh arriving to meet their great granddaughter for the first time. 

Pictures of them arriving were quick to be published, everyone knowing that the Queen and Prince Philip would be the first of many visitors that would make their way to York House. 

Adeline kissed her grandmother's cheek when she saw her, there was no doubt that they would have a busy first day here at York House. 

Everyone was eager to come and see Daphne, the birth had been a source of great celebration for both families; there had been much to celebrate for both sides in the last year and things only seemed to be getting better. 

Simon shook hands with Prince Philip, it was nice to welcome their first guests and it was a little strange to think how important Daphne's birth had been. 

Born the sixth in line for the throne, it was highly unlikely that Daphne would ever be Queen but she would be the granddaughter of the next King. 

The house was quiet, it felt a world away from the hospital where Daphne had been born and the load crowds that had gathered outside the Lindo Wing waiting for the news. 

Several landmarks were illuminated pink to mark her birth, including Tower Bridge, the London Eye and the Trafalgar Square fountains; there were also gun salutes at Hyde Park and the Tower of London. 

Adeline knew that the celebrations wouldn't be as grand as they had been for the firstborn child of William and Catherine; the future King George would be after Charles and William. 

Daphne was asleep in the Moses basket that they'd been given by Camilla, it was a lovely and the perfect place for Daphne to take her nap while people were visiting them. 

"What did you call her?" Prince Philip asked smiling at Adeline, he knew that the Queen would be unlikely to disagree with their choice; she had a lot more freedom than William had with choosing names for her firstborn. 

Her child would never have the pressure that George had, that his new sibling expected in April would; Daphne would slowly be pushed further and further down the line of succession.

Unless something massively tragic happened, Daphne could never rise higher than sixth and that was only for the first two months of her life until the new Prince or Princess of Cambridge was born. 

"Daphne Frances Elisabeth," Simon stated proudly, he loved the name that they had picked out and he couldn't think of a better one that could have been chosen; it was perfect for her and a little different from many of the other names. 

Daphne was a feminine given name of Greek origin meaning laurel, Frances had been Diana's middle name and of course she had been named for Queen Elizabeth. 

"A beautiful name for a beautiful little girl," Prince Philip complimented, he peered down at the sleeping newborn while the Queen took a seat on the couch; the short trip from Buckingham Palace had been well worth it in both their options. 

Carefully picking up Daphne, it was the Queen that got to hold her first and she beamed as she stared down at her newest great grandchild, she loved moments like this. 

There nothing compared to the moment that she got to hold the newest member of the family, she knew how blessed she was to have the chance to meet one great grandchild let alone fifth. 

At the age of eighty-eight, she had lived what she felt was a good life, she wanted nothing more than to leave her family in a stronger position than when she had gained her throne.