Chapter Ninety-Four: First Day of School

8th of September 2022 - Hill House School

Climbing out of the family car, Adeline took a deep breath as she smoothed out her skirt and closed the door behind her before she moved to help her children from the car; it still felt surreal that they were all starting school. 

Daphne was the first out of the car, making sure that she had her book bag before she stepped back so that Sabastian could clamber out of the car with his bag as well; the two of them wearing the new school uniform. 

Simon had climbed out of the driver's side and was helping Albert and Helena from their car seats, he made sure that they both had their bags before he took their hands. 

Meeting Adeline at the front of the car, the family started to make their way into the school gates knowing that the pictures that had been taken the day before that would be released that morning to show the kids attending their new school. 

The four kids looked smart in their new school uniforms, they had been so excited to start their first day of school especially after the long summer. 

It would be a little strange for Daphne and Sebastian who had lost the support of their cousins who were attending Lambrook, which was a lot closer to their new official residence of Adelaide Cottage. 

Charlotte and Daphne had spent most of their education together in the same classroom, it would be a strange start for the two of them but it was for the best especially as the line between them was about to change for good. 

Holding her mother's hand, Daphne looked around trying to take in the new school that she would be attending and she couldn't help but feel a little strange knowing that Charlotte wasn't going to be attending. 

Afterall, Charlotte was her best friend and Daphne hoped that never changed; she couldn't imagine never being best friends with her cousin when they saw each other all the time. 

The same could be said about Louis and Sebastian, the two of them had been close and while they hadn't attended school at the same time it was clear they were good friends. 

"Are you excited?" Simon asked Helena and Albert, they hadn't attended the last school since they had been too young but it was going to be the first time that they attended school. 

He wasn't sure that he was ready to see the youngest grow up, it was a little strange to think that this was happening and he wanted nothing more than to hit the pause button.

"Yes," the twins chanted happily, the two of them thrilled that they would be joining their two older siblings on this adventure; it was an adventure that marked the start of a new period in their life and they had already met their lovely teacher. 

Simon started to lead them to the door where the twins would enter nursery while Adeline dealt with getting Daphne and Sebastian to the door where they would go inside. 

Daphne, Sebastian, Helena and Albert were all growing up, they were so different and Simon loved watching them grow up and be involved in that; he hadn't wanted to be a man like his father who had been so disinterested in his own children. 

He had only cared for Simon because he was his heir and there was nothing that Simon could do that would impress him while Susan had been his favourite because she behaved how Edward had expected of her.

Simon had always intended to be a hands on father, he loved getting to take his kids to school and pick them up; he loved helping them with their homework. 

There was no telling what each of them would do when they grew up but he looked forward to seeing it happen, he hoped that they never felt like his father made him feel.