Chapter Sixty-Four: Lockdown

23rd of March 2020 - York House

Seven days ago, all non-essential travel had been stopped. Four days ago, Boris Johnson had said that the UK could "turn tide of coronavirus" in 12 week. 

Today Boris Johnson announced the first lockdown in the UK, ordering people to "stay at home". Adeline felt her stomach turn watching the announcement, her children all asleep and she sat on the couch unable to believe that this was actually happening. 

It had been horrifying to watch the spread of COVID-19 around the world, how bad it seemed to have gotten so quickly and she wished that there was something that she could do. 

All her engagements had to be rearranged for video conferences, it was strange to think that this was happening; that the world was coming to a complete stand-still because of a virus with no end in sight. 

Simon was seated beside his wife, his mind racing knowing that it would take days to implement such a thing and such a decision needed royal approval; his mind raced with possibilities knowing that staying in central London would do them no good. 

Despite having the space to themselves, it wasn't ideal for the kids to be locked away here for months if things escalated like they had across the world at such a rapid rate. 

The Queen and Prince Philip were secluded away in Windsor Castle, William and Catherine would likely head for Anmer Hall on the Sandringham estate while Charles and Camilla would be staying at Clarence House. 

"We should head to the manor," Simon murmured looking to Adeline, it would be the perfect place for them and the kids during a lockdown. 

Lucy and Celina would stay in FitzClarence House, protecting their daughter from what was going on; Anne staying with them helping with the baby. 

Rupert and Ellie had their own space, a home where they could hide out while the world turned itself upside down. 

Adeline opened her mouth before stopping and nodding her head, it didn't feel real and she didn't know what to say; she could work from anywhere if everything was over skype and phone now.

 FitzClarence Manor would afford them the chance for more space for the kids, Daphne and Sebastian would certainly appreciate that in the long run; although Daphne would be upset about not seeing her friends from school. 

***

24th of March 2020 - FitzClarence Manor

Stepping into the hall, Adeline let out a sigh not sure how she felt about fleeing central London like she had, a part of her wishing that she could stay the course and remain in London but she had to think about the children. 

FitzClarence Manor offered them more seclusion away from the virus, it was just them here and they didn't have to worry about cross contamination like they did with York House which was connected to St James Palace. 

It was safer for them and the children to be in the countryside, it would take some getting used to and the Queen had reassured Adeline that it was okay for them to make the move. 

Daphne would attend her classes over video chat for the time being, the school scrambling since the announcement for lockdown and the uncharted territory that they now entered. 

It reminded Adeline of that film that had come out a few years back with Kate Winslet, Matt Damon and Gwyneth Paltrow starring in it. 

It had been on the tv, the other night and she hadn't been able to sit through it as she thought about what was going on in the world right now.