CHAPTER 8: AVERISTA♥️

It's dark.

Not late, but the sun had retired too early today.

I pushed my hands into the pockets of my hoodie before crossing the road. Horns honked, wind whistled, and red lights turned green. I picked up a quick pace as I strode down the sidewalk. There sure wasn't a shop down our street or anywhere close to our trailer. It wasn't a place where vendors moved around, either. I bet they thought we could barely afford a thing. The more I walked, the fewer people I encountered. Until I was the only one walking. Apart from a couple of cars which were also going to disappear soon, the place was deserted.

I turned a corner, taking a shortcut while hearing 'something just like this' by Chainsmokers playing somewhere from afar. Probably one of the fancy apartments up the block. Walking between buildings meant little to no light and, of course, smelly dumpsters. But again, it was better than taking the long way. The earlier I got back home, the better.

I covered my nose once the stink hit. I hurried past the stench to save myself from puking my guts out, but a loud scream from somewhere I couldn't pinpoint shocked me enough that I stumbled into a trashcan itself.

I held myself back, eyes wide.

My boots weren't the only things thumping on the ground once I got my legs together again.

There were other voices.

A woman yelling. Men laughing.

The scream came again, high pitched and piercing, and like a reflex, I moved towards its source. I hadn’t an inkling about what was happening, but I sure wasn't the type of person who could pass as a silent witness. I solely hoped nothing bad was going on.

But that scream? It was telling me a different story.

I switched routes, following the voices through an empty, thin, dark alleyway that led into a wider one with even less light. The buildings blocked the moon too well on this part.

Before me stood a group of five men.

I felt for my cell phone, only to realize I had left it back home.

The thought of getting the police hit me too late and when I thought of running off, a part of me kept my feet in one place.

I forced myself to move, but all my systems halted at the sight of a girl held by one of them under a chokehold.

Those eyes.

Familiar blue eyes and blond waves.

That was enough to stir up something inside of me.

"Hey, let her go!"

The guys finally acknowledged my presence.

"Are you lost, princess?" One of them questioned, making the others laugh.

"Help me!" The girl cried.

"That's my friend," I repeated. "Let her go."

The men took a while, digesting my words, only to end up bursting into hysterics.

The maniacs.

"I'm gonna call the police. Let her go, now."

I kept a stern face.

"Princess Tiana here thinks she's going to be a hero," one of them mocked on top of their laughter. "Awww, what a sweet bestie you have, blondie."

I tried to think of what to do, but nothing came to mind.

The only thing I was sure of was . . . If anybody was going to get hurt around here, then it was definitely going to be me on behalf of that girl.

"I said let the girl go!" I shot.