CHAPTER 27: AVERISTA♥️

Mr. McQuinn launched an auction to sell out his collection of discoveries and the news had gone viral enough to stir up the entire city of Daresm.

"I don't like him." Dativa pointed the second the man's face popped up on the screen.

We were watching the news and, well, let's just say the audacious scientist was everywhere.

"He gives me the wrong vibes," Dativa added before I could ask her why.

I didn't like the man either.

But I had a serious thing for his daughter.

Right when I had thought of the devil . . . The pair, the father and her daughter, came into view.

I almost dropped my plate of spaghetti at the sight.

Phoebe?

This was the first time I had ever seen McQuinn bring up his daughter in a public space. And I wasn't the only one surprised at the situation.

"Dude," Dativa stared at the tv in shock. "Are you seeing what I'm seeing?"

Of course I was. And it was a lot to take in, let alone comprehend.

Phoebe McQuinn.

Hand in hand with her father.

I thought she didn't like her father? I also thought he kept her in the shadows because he was ashamed of her?

Shades of glossy white and black illuminated the entrance of the Marina Regency hotel. A sumptuous red carpet trailed the floor like a snake, prestigious enough for the rich species of Daresm City and beyond to march on and pose behind cameras. Ladies and gentlemen with money to waste on fancy attires that were bought more from the blood that they spilled than the work that they did. With this economy, it concerned the majority why they would even buy such things.

McQuinn strode with pride amongst them, his signature poker smile carved on his face while he eyed Phoebe as if she was his most precious possession.

And she was.

But one thing that didn't sum up was why he took her with him when he never even allowed her on this side of his life before. It had always been all about him. Nobody but him. He never even mentioned her name in the past.

What kind of stunt was he trying to pull up now? It was hard not to worry about his intentions. And maybe it was none of my business but . . . For the sake of Phoebe's safety, I think all of it was all my business.

She was my friend, right? I mean-until I ruined things up, that is.

Phoebe automatically lit up the whole place and became the centre of attention of the live event. Dressed in knee-length white platforms and a silk baby pink mini-dress that stood her out from the crowd of uniform black, she was enchanting. Her hair was a mess of frizzy curls, half of it tied up in a pink ribbon, while the rest of it fell flawlessly down her shoulders to her waist. Her face dolled up with faint make up and a string of diamonds that I was sure no one in this damned city could afford sat around her neck.

She looked like the real prize. If anything was being auctioned, then it should be her.

"Wow," Dativa's jaw dropped. "She sure is the real walking version of Barbie."

But that was simply Phoebe, beautiful without even trying. It was almost weird to think that she was blind with how striking her eyes looked. I felt almost jealous of the surrounding men. Men who weren't even ashamed of ogling her down as if they weren't thrice her age.

Still, no matter how fine she looked, seeing her reminded me of the mistake I made and the fact that she probably would never forgive me.

"Hey, why sulking again?" Dativa noticed the change in my expression, but the blonde queen had enticed me enough not to care about answering my best friend.