CHAPTER 16: AVERISTA♥️

I should stay away from that girl. Both physically and mentally.

"Good idea. But again, you need answers," Strivoda marked.

I didn't even notice that I had said that out loud.

"She could be your insider!" Kavenile jolted like he just came up with the greatest idea of all time.

"What do you mean insider?" My brows furrowed.

"Your way in. She could be your source of information from McQuinn's mansion. She could help you figure out if that stupid magical lab you always talk about actually exists or not." Kavenile explained, melodramatic.

"Fancy," I admitted. "But I don't wanna set up the girl against her own father."

"You're not setting her up against him, you dweeb!" I swear Kavenile almost smacked me at that point. "You're just asking for a little help. Like a normal person."

"But I'm not a normal pers–"

"Okay okay, enough arguments for today!" Mikeus butt in. "Our girl needs to rest."

"And I think you, young lady, should stop thinking too much and ask that girl out on a date." Strivoda added, like it was the most ordinary thing to say.

I rolled my eyes. These three were making me sick.

I had locked myself in the bathroom while my mother was out watering the garden in the backyard. I simply wanted to hear these idiots' opinions and, well, I had gained nothing. I wasn't sure the idea of using Phoebe like that was pleasing, but it sounded more productive than asking her on a date. As much as I was interested in her, I was determined to keep our relationship at her pace. If I could even call it a relationship, that is.

With a sigh, I closed my eyes. The triplets were still arguing in the background, but once I opened my eyes again, they were gone. At least I had a bit of power left in me to control my transformation. I hated it when it was the other way around. When it controlled me.

My braids were back in place, pressed nicely over my shoulders like the way Mama had plaited them a while ago.

I walked back into the bedroom and grabbed my phone.

My finger hovered over Phoebe's contact name for too long. I thought of our last conversation and the last time I saw her, her eyes, her face, her hair, her voice - and even questioned my whole life while at it. I wondered about what she did as a pastime and who kept her company when my mother wasn't with her.

I wondered about how she even ended up disabled. Was she born like that?

Mama walked into the room at the same time I was about to step out.

"Oh, still here? I thought you went to hang out at your college or something," she said.

"Nope." I shook my head. "Plus, don't you have a shift this afternoon?"

"Exactly. I'm getting ready," she began, taking off her clothes. "There's food in the freezer, by the way, so don't bother cooking."

"Okay," I left for the living room.

When I pressed call, Phoebe picked up in the first minute. It made me wonder if she had been looking forward to my phone call. If she had been waiting?

"Hey wildflower!"

I ignored how my heart skipped a beat at the nickname.

I could hear a man's voice yelling in the background, but then it disappeared after a few seconds. I was also sure I heard a door slam closed. All sounds from the other side of the line.