CHAPTER 4 : AVERISTA♥️

"You should say hello to her."

Dativa's voice pulled me out of my reverie in the middle of class. I had been watching her again. The blonde queen, or whatever her name was.

"That's terrifying. Imagine a stranger coming to say hello to you for no clear reason."

"It's called socializing, Avery." Dativa sighed as she crossed her arms.

"Exactly. And I flunk at it."

"It's just a greeting, no big deal. Just a girl greeting another girl. What's so wrong about that?"

She had a point but . . . it only sounded like a no big deal when I thought about it from a straight girl's perspective. When it came to my lesbian self, nothing sank.

"I–I can't." I stuttered.

"What?" she gave me a look of disbelief. "Why not?"

"Because I can't. I don't have the guts."

"Are you having a crush on her?"

I definitely did.

Dativa stared at me, waiting for a reply while I fidgeted with my pen.

"N–no." I lied.

"Good," she grinned. "Then it won't hurt to say hello. How about after class?"

"That's stupid, Tiva. I ain't breaking out of my comfort zone to fulfill your wildest dreams."

"Chill, gurl," Dativa laughed, holding a hand over her mouth and trying to keep her voice low in the middle of class. "It's not that deep. It's just a hello. It really isn't that much of a big deal, trust me."

I turned my focus to my notebook and played deaf.

"C'mon," Dativa pestered, shaking my shoulder. "Make it a challenge."

"Challenge for what?" I raised a brow.

"You said that you ain't crushing on her, so prove me wrong and say hello."

"You're–unbelievable."

"Just a hello, nothing more. Like just walk past her and drop a hello then move on. No biggie, easy peasy."

She pursed her lips. Puppy face and all.

I had no idea what she had under her sleeve, but for the sake of the puppy face, how could I object? I turned away from her, or maybe tried to.

"Please." she pled.

"Okay, okay," I sighed. "Fine, I will."

Dativa smiled widely and I rolled my eyes at her delight. Only heaven knew what she had under her sleeve.

                                    * * *

When class ended, I thought of taking back my words and telling Dativa that I couldn't do it. I couldn't say hello to the blonde queen. However, wasn't it better to move on and get over it, and focus on other things? Besides, no one was forcing me to do it. I was taking it as a challenge, like what Dativa said previously.

"C'mon c'mon c'mon." Dativa giggled excitedly when class ended, pulling me by hand and rushing me towards the blonde queen who was with her friend.

My heart skipped a beat at the sight of her walking out. She looked like a being from outer space. With other worldly beauty standards and a rare personality. Her calmness never failed to mesmerize me. She reminded me of the sea and its waves. Only moving as a reflex from the wind. Only spoke when it was necessary and appeared to have a continuous stream of thoughts in her mind. I wished to read the thoughts she wasn't saying.

I struggled to keep myself put as we got close to her. Her friend was telling her something, and she was nodding, face downcast and one hand clutching her purse while the other holding onto her friend's arm.

Dativa tightened my hand in hers once we reached the blonde queen.

"Hello." I looked at her, but the focus in her eyes wasn't on me.

Her friend smiled and nudged her. "The cute girl is saying hello to you."

Blood rushed to my cheeks, and I held Dativa's hand tighter.

"To m–me?" The blonde queen pointed to herself, as if she couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"Yes, you idiot," her friend elbowed her. "She's right in front of us."

"Oh," blondie moved hair out of her face to the back of her ear with a smile. "Hi."

"You're beautiful, and I just wanted to say hello."

The words left my mouth before I could think.

"Oh. Thank you"

She smiled, I smiled back, and just like that, me and Dativa made our way out.

We were heading towards the parking lot, and my cheeks were still burning.

"My hand is turning purple, you bitch."

It wasn't until Dativa said that did I realize I had been gripping her hand for dear life the entire time. I quickly let go and she laughed at my reaction.

"Sorry."

"God. I can't believe this." Dativa shook her head before opening the passenger door for me.

"What?"

Dativa didn't answer until we were both sitting inside her blue convertible.

"You lied to me," she finally said, hands on the steering wheel.

"About what–what are you talking about?"

"About the blonde queen," she marked with a hint of disappointment in her voice. "You do have a crush on her. You said you don't, but you do, Avery. You so do."