PROLOGUE: AVERISTA♥️

My fate had been decided on a normal spring day.

Dressed in a casual yellow dress, denim jacket, and a pair of red sneakers.

Mama held my hand tight as we walked all the way from the trailer we called 'home' to the other side of the street where the houses stood enormous with grandeur but also held an ambience creepy as the people living inside of them. People who were superior enough to make me uncomfortable.

Mama was a mere nanny, yet I envied her simple job to no explanation. Getting a chance to see the inside of that place she worked in was a dream come true and I didn't hesitate to fake an illness so she could finally let me tag along with her.

"My boss doesn't like kids," she warned, reminding me that I should keep my naughty ten-year-old dirty hands to myself. "In fact, he doesn't like kids at all. If it weren't for your back aching, I wouldn't take you with me."

I made a puppy face, making sure Mama wouldn't change her mind about taking me with her. Despite that her remark disheartened me, I didn't care.

"He's going to be really mad at me, so please be at your best behaviour, Avery."

"Yes, Mama. I will."

The guard at the heavenly-looking gateway checked my mother's ID before letting her in.

"Is that your daughter, Halima?" He asked, noticing me.

"Yes, Tj. She's sick and I couldn't leave her home alone."

"No worries. It's just a two-hour shift, right? I don't think the boss will mind."

"Yes, hopefully."

He did mind.

Mr. McQuinn's face contorted in disgust the second his eyes lay on me.

"Explain," he ordered my mother the moment she reached him.

Not even a greeting?

"Start with how come you've arrived five minutes late for your job and why you dragged another nuisance along, Miss Halima."

I loathed him on the instant.

I didn't like the way he looked at her, like there was something more going on than I perceived. Leave it to adults to constantly leave me in oblivion.

While he tried to make sense of my mother's apologies and explanations, I mindlessly skimmed all the corners of his throne-like living room. The place was ridiculously huge, reminding me of the Titanic. I wondered how much money it cost to build such a house. Their simple golden door knobs were probably enough to buy our entire trailer and everything inside of it.

After what felt like an eon of him bringing up old mistakes she did and complaining about them, Mr. McQuinn finally told my mother to retreat.

"It's Phoebe's birthday, you know. She was looking forward to see you."

Mama nodded at his words before making her way towards the stairs on the left side of the living room. I followed suit.

Mr. McQuinn watched us all the way until Mama stopped in front of a mahogany door and pulled it open.

"Oh, and Miss Halima," he suddenly spoke. "I don't want that kid in there. She can wait for you downstairs."

His words were a slap on my face. I held back a grimace. So much for coming up with a solid plan.

But before I could make another move, I caught sight of a beautiful young girl from the other side of the mahogany door. My breathing halted when electric blue eyes met mine.