CHAPTER 1: AVERISTA♥️

I could feel her eyes watching me, no matter how much I ignored it.

She was always looking at me, and I was always looking at her. The energy in between made it porcelain clear that it was more than just two strangers having a staring contest.

She was one of the few things that really caught my attention, or maybe the only thing that ever caught my attention. I wasn't even an attentive person to begin with, but something about her had my gut twisting the wrong way. I was yet to find out what it was.

I didn't know I was holding my breath whenever I saw her until she walked past me and I would exhale. That's when I realized it, and that's when I also realized how my heart had stopped there for a minute. Something was up with her and I seriously needed to find out.

If only I knew how.

Maybe it was the way she carried herself around with her friends all the time, maybe it was the blue oceans of emptiness in her eyes that swallowed me in its waves, or maybe it was her long blond hair that seemed to be calling for my fingers to touch.

I didn't know what was more overwhelming. Everything about her was like an overload to little old me.

"Why are you always looking at that girl?" Dativa's voice spooked me enough to make me jump at 8am in the morning. And here I thought I could never be scared if I was a monster..

"Darn–Tiva! You freaking scared the hell out of me!" I playfully hit her and she laughed, fixing herself on the seat next to me.

"Sorry," she apologized with a little laugh. "But seriously, why are you always staring at her?"

"Who?" I could guess who she was talking about. I mean, it was pretty obvious at who I was looking at and it would be a thrill if the blond queen herself didn't notice me ogling at her.

"Stop playing dumb, Avery. You know exactly who you're staring at."

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Why you always staring at her?"

"Who the hell is 'her'?"

"That blond bimbo!"

I grimaced. "Don't call her that, she's not like you."

"Oh, so I'm the bimbo?"

"Yep, you're the curly bob haired bimbo."

"And that will make you - the braids bimbo."

I shot her a glare.

"Ouch, that burns, y' know. How dare you shoot me that look all because of that blond bimbo?"

I shot her another glare.

"Okay, okay, okay - she's the blonde queen from now on, how's that?"

"Good." I hid my smile.

But of course, Dativa could always tell when something was up with me. Someone might think we were best friends from kindergarten, but we were far from that. We met a month ago, two lost college juniors trying to figure their way around campus with no map. Worse, we were majoring on the same course, so we shared all our classes together. You have no idea how much this mere luck made Dativa so ecstatic.

"Is it just because she's pretty?" Dativa whispered. "Or is there something else behind it?"

We watched the blue-eyed goddess take a sit on the front row with her group of friends.

Dativa called them the pentagram. I had to agree that they sent off the wrong vibe, like some mean girl sorority sort of thing, but of course, I had bigger problems to fret about.