CHAPTER 13: AVERISTA♥️

"I wanna be her friend," I found myself saying to the mirror. "I wanna be her closest friend. Am I going insane? Why am I talking to the mirror?"

A loud honk outside interrupted my session and I was quickly reminded that I had a class to attend.

Dativa was here to pick me up.

In a flash, I put on my black t-shirt, a black leather mini-skirt, bee-striped stockings, and boots. I stopped by the kitchen and had a taste of the bread and milked-tea Mama had left on the table before she went to work. Once satisfied, I grabbed my backpack and set off to open the door.

"Hurry up, princess. We're gonna be late." Dativa urged me with her hand through her window.

We had an early class, and I had planned to skip it but then I realized I couldn't survive without seeing a certain beautiful blind girl.

"Ready?" Dativa asked once I popped into the passenger seat next to her.

"Yep." I nodded.

She hit the key to ignition and raced us off.

Ever since that weird incident when she had dragged me away from the blonde queen that day, she had been acting awkward.

She barely registered as the girl I knew anymore. I had asked her so many times why she did that — why the hell did she grab me like that and pull me away when I was trying to have a conversation with the girl I liked?

Dativa didn't say a thing. I had pestered her enough, and now I was done.

I aimlessly scrolled on my phone, ignoring the thick tension in the air even though I knew it wasn't in me to hold on for too long. If she wasn't bringing it up in the next 24 hours, then I definitely would. I didn't like the air between us. I disliked negative energy.

The car stopped at the college parking lot, and I was first to step out. I waited until Dativa locked the car to walk. It wasn't until I reached the lecture hall entrance way did she grab my arm to a stop.

I froze and looked at her.

She was finally looking back at me, and I was grateful for that at least. She was slowly becoming herself again, and I was glad.

"What's wrong, Tiva?"

She avoided my gaze a bit before swallowing.

"I–" Her eyes skipped around and her grip on me loosened. "I . . . "

"Spit it out, please."

She looked at me and sighed.

"Come here." She pulled me aside, walking me back to those stairs where me and the blonde queen had our first conversation.

I didn't see any point of privacy since nobody even cared to eavesdrop on other people's stuff in here, but I let her do her way.

I just wanted to know whatever that had been bothering her.

"Look," she let go of me. "I need to tell you something."

"Then tell me." I prompted.

She took a breath before she opened her mouth again.

"About that girl–the blind one, the one you like? She's the girl Halima is taking care of. Her boss' daughter."

My mind froze, trying to take in the information.

"The blonde queen?"

"Yes," she nodded. "Her name is Phoebe, and Halima is her caretaker. She's the daughter of the legendary and famous herpetologist McQuinn a.k.a your mother's boss."