CHAPTER 31: AVERISTA♥️

"So, I've been thinking . . ."  Kavenile broke the silence in the living room as I typed away on the computer, googling.

"Funny how you're always deeply thinking but always coming up with the most stupidest ideas." Mikeus broke in before Kavenile could even finish.

"Can't you just shut up and listen for once!"

"Listen to what? A new way to get us in trouble?"

"Fuck," Kavenile sighed, irritated. "I haven't even said anything yet!"

"Good! Because the biggest favor you could give the world right now is shut up –"

"Can you two please just cut it out!" Strivoda butt in the same second I was about to.

God, these people just never calmed down. Maybe letting them out to have a breath of fresh air when my mother wasn't around wasn't such a good idea.

"Aves is a little busy here and I'm pretty sure she could use some silence," Strivoda added. "Do you know how much painful it is for her to hold herself back from transforming? We should be grateful for this chance."

I smiled up, wishing I could high-five him.

I took a quick sip of my tea and turned my attention back to the screen.

"By the way, young lady, what the hell are you up to? Busy with?" Mikeus changed the subject, turning all their attention to me.

I sighed before answering.

"Braille."

"What?" they all asked in unison.

"Br-braille," I stuttered, not believing myself either. "I'm learning braille."

Strivoda wore a secret smirk, letting me know he had read between the lines already.

"Is it, perhaps, for that girl you always mention? The blind girl we saved in the alleyway. Phoebe?" Kavenile questioned, genuinely curious.

A heat rose to my cheeks.

"Um – It's – It's not." What was I saying? Of course, it definitely was for that girl. "Uh – it's –"

"Of course it is. Who did you expect?" Mikeus teased while answering Kavenile at the same time.

"No!" My lie came out too loud. "It's just for myself. For school."

"Mmmh," Strivoda still had that smirk on his damn face and both Kavenile and Mikeus were giving me the side-eye. "Of course. Of course."

Of course.

They were staring at me too much. I had to clear my throat too loud for them to turn away.

"Okay fine," Mikeus marked, as if he was done trying to make me say it. "Whatever."

"Maybe you should ask your mom for some help. I'm sure she knows a lot of that. She could teach you." Strivoda gestured to the computer, trying to save me from all the blood rushing in my face at the mere mention of a certain blind girl.

That was a superb idea. Why didn't I think of that? Mama probably knew a bit of braille for the sake of Phoebe.

"Um – yeah. I could try that." I nodded at him.

"Don't try, do it."

"On this case, it's more about trying. She's less likely to help me, you know. She can totally tell that I'm doing this for Phoebe, and she made it perfectly clear that she doesn't want me anywhere near that girl."

"Ha! I knew you were doing it for a girl!" Mikeus cut in, joy all over him.

"I'm not –"

"That's good news! I think she could be quite useful. She could help you cure this damn curse." Kavenile prompted.