CHAPTER 49: AVERISTA♥️

Merry Christmas y'all 🎄🎁

     --------------------------------------------------------

Wine turned into blood. Or maybe it was all blood from the very beginning.

I was back to the genesis of Medusa's fable, living every single torturous second of her purgatory.

"You're my puppet. I own the strings of your reins. Do you hear that?" McQuinn caught me by my throat. "And you do as I say. Got it? I am your creator."

A plaything of the gods. That was all I was and all I will ever be. A fulfillment of their wicked delights. To keep everything crawling on their knees was every god's greatest pleasure.

"Yes." I reluctantly agreed, adhering to his order with a permanent frown on my face.

The god awful man had Pandora's box in his hands. I figured he could do anything he wanted to me with that thing. And I could barely understand why he was immune to my gaze. How could it be? I had been looking forward to use his statue as a decoration somewhere. What a pity.

"Yes, who?" He tightened his grip, and I struggled to breathe. A hushed, excruciating fight for my life.

"Yes . . . my creator."

A sly grin formed on his face.

"Good girl."

He let go and strutted out of the lab room while all my senses faded to nothing.

                                * * *

A soft touch on my face woke me up.

"Averista?" The familiar voice of my best friend made my eyelids flick upward.

With a gasp out of the spasm of fear that never seemed to leave my body and mind ever since McQuinn's previous acts, I retreated backward.

"You're also one of his minions, aren't you?"

My words and actions made the color on Dativa's face immediately drain.

'I could never hurt you.' Her eyes said. 'You know that more than I do.'

But I was lifeless. My soul too lost to spare any trust for anyone.

"Averista . . ."

I could feel the pain in her voice. Like it was taking her everything not to burst into tears.

"What are you doing here?"

I already had enough blood pounding in my ears, I didn't need no more.

"I'm breaking my best friend out, duh." She prompted, as if it was the most obvious thing at the moment. "What else could I be doing here?"

"Don't fret, we're not that bastard's minions." A new voice, a girl's, came up from somewhere behind Dativa.

Then the last person in my head appeared, a pocket knife being twirled expertly with her fingers.

"Wait–Noreen?" What was she doing here? "What in the hell–"

"What in the hell it is!" The pretty redhead grinned like a maniac. "Nice to see you too, bestie-in-law."

What did she call me?

My best friend quickly shot the girl a 'Keep your mouth shut before I make you' glare. I would've believed Dativa really wanted Noreen to shut the fuck up if it weren't for the heavy sexual tension hovering between them at their eye contact.

"Don't listen to her." Dativa said to me, ignoring the girl and wiping something off my sticky face.

Noreen rolled her eyes at my best friend's words before she shrugged and muttered almost only to herself, "Whatever floats your boat, honeybun."