CHAPTER 24: AVERISTA♥️

I knocked three times on Dativa's door.

A whole minute flew by before my best friend pulled open.

She looked exhausted; dressed in leggings and a top, her 4C curls all over the place. I didn't have to ask to know that I had interrupted her work out session. Or yoga?

Our eyes met as I tried to find words to say but failed and instead, I turned into a sobbing mess. I guess I had been holding it back too hard.

"Avery . . . "

Her body glistened with sweat but I didn't care. I fell into her and she immediately engulfed me in a bear hug.

I cried my eyes out onto her shoulder.

I expected her to pull away and pester me about it, but she didn't. Dativa simply dragged us inside her apartment, pushed the door closed with one of her hand while holding me with the other, and then hugged me even tighter, caressing my back.

I forced myself not to think of my mother and even Phoebe, but the latter was rather hard to get out of my head, for obvious reasons.

Maybe it would be better if Mama didn't see me for a while. Or perhaps forever.

Whatever Phoebe thought of me right now . . . I could guess it.

Dishonest.

That's what she's probably thinking.

Dishonest. Dishonest. Dishonest.

As fast as I earned her trust, the faster I was going to lose it. Maybe I had already lost it.

Was she mad at me? Did she think of me as one of her stupid, untrustworthy friends now? Did I still have a chance to redeem myself? Did she think I meant any harm?

I didn't want her to think she wasn't safe with me. I wanted her to trust me. I wanted her to feel the same way I felt for her.

But the question was: What the hell did I even feel for her?

At first it was infatuation. Some sort of craving for special attention. Then it turned into love. I believe. And I thought it could never get any worse than that. But it did.

My feelings had morphed into something else. Something more than mere love.

Telepathic companionship. Soul intimacy.

But were soulmates chosen? I had a firm belief that they were destined.

Were the feelings even mutual?

Worse-be with Phoebe or make my mother happy? I felt forced to make a choice between the two options, even though they should have nothing to do with each other.

"I missed you," Dativa muttered when I finally calmed down. "Haven't seen you at college for a while. Everything okay?"

We were sitting on the couch. My hands holding a glass of water she had served me while both of hers were on me. One at the small of my back and the other squeezing my knee now and then, the spot reminding me of no one other than the blue-eyed goddess.

I appreciated Dativa's attempt to comfort me, but as soon as I finished drinking the water, I placed the glass on the table and moved her hand away from my knee. The touch burned too much déjà vu for me to handle, and I needed to unwind.

"I know," I sighed. "And yes, everything is okay. Except me."

Sadness crossed her facial features and, once again, she pulled me into an embrace.

But I wasn't crying anymore. I ran out of tears an hour ago and now I simply held her back and felt grateful for having such an understanding, sweet friend like Dativa.