CHAPTER 25: PHOEBE💙

The music blasted through the speakers and went straight into my soul.

I could feel the beat pounding in sync with my heart and despite how much I hated social gatherings, I was up to keep Nory company.

Yes, Nory. Her. Again.

I was giving her a second chance, much to my very own surprise.

Though I wasn't sure if she deserved it. After realizing my father meant no harm to me, I figured maybe it wouldn't be so bad to have her as a friend. Maybe even a real one this time.

"Here. Have a drink." Nory raised her voice so I could hear her over the music.

She placed a cup in my hands.

"Thanks," I smiled before immediately taking a swig.

The liquid burnt my throat, and I almost threw the cup away on the instant.

"What the hell is this shit–it's scorching my throat!"

I heard Nory's laugh, along with the others.

Our other two friends — Maddie and Winnifrida, were with us.

The two had invited Nory to this stupid party and Nory begged me to come with her.

It was my chance to open up for her again because god knew I could never make the first move to ask her to hang out.

"Just enjoy it!" I heard Winnifrida's voice yell.

I could pay money to go out of the damn place. But I also wanted to keep my friends and be a normal girl. So I stayed.

The three dragged me to dance and I couldn't decline even though I couldn't move a limb to save a life.

I just jumped along to every beat I heard, screamed the lyrics out of my lungs, and the more I drank, the less my throat burned, so I drank even more.

By the time we called it quits, Nory told me it was past midnight.

She put her arm around me and dragged me out to her car. Maddie offered to help, but Nory declined, as if she could handle my weight by herself.

"Fuck. I'm not paid enough for this shit!" I heard her yell the second I leaned my weight over her as she struggled to move us down the stairs and back to the parking lot.

I let out a laugh.

"And here I thought you wouldn't fuck up this time." My arm was slipping off her shoulder, but she caught it in time and held my wrist tight. "So much for giving you a second chance."

Nory sighed before moving us forward.

"I fucking hate you, Phoebe McQuinn."

Why did she hate me? I barely had any influence on her life!

My head was spinning so badly, but at least her words sounded funny.

"I wish I could hate you too, Noreen Clarisse," I marked the same time she made me lean back onto something. I think it was her car.

For the longest time, no one was moving.

Nory was holding me against her stupid Porsche, and the cold was eating me up big time. I wanted to push her away and teleport all the way home to my bed, but we all knew I could barely hold myself up without her. So I stood there and let my half-drunk self and half-sober self fight for dominance.

"This," Nory shot. "This is why I hate you."

I wished I could see her. But all I could feel was the unexpected heat of her body.