CHAPTER 18: AVERISTA♥️

Mama wasn't home when I went out to meet Phoebe.

I neither wanted to show up anywhere near Phoebe's place nor did I want her close to my home. Anything could happen and I was better off safe than sorry. So I simply sent her directions to where the park was located and made my way there.

"I can't believe I ditched my nanny for you," Phoebe marked when she arrived.

It gave me jitters the way she was sure she was talking to the right person even though she couldn't see me.

"How did you know it was me?" I had been standing by the park entrance, waiting for her to appear. A cab had stopped by and when she dropped out, my mind drifted away at the sight of her. By the time I got back to my senses, there she was. Right in front of me.

"Easy. Your scent, wildflower," she said.

It was weird but I guess I could learn to get used to it.

I smiled, taking in her white floral dress, black cropped cardigan, and white sneakers. It looked like the kind of outfit my mother would've liked me to wear but too bad for her, unless I caught sight of a leather miniskirt then I mostly shopped in the men's section. I think I understood why Mama liked Phoebe better than she did her own daughter.

"Can I take the honour of being your guide?"

She had picked the right time. Somewhere around 6pm when the sun was officially setting. There was neither too much light nor too less. It was simply beautiful, just like her.

"Of course." She smiled before holding out her hand for me to take.

I happily took her hand in mine and went as far as to intertwine our fingers together. I regretted it immediately, because a weird strike of coldness raced up my arm and shoulder.

"Let's go to my favourite bench," I suggested, in which she smiled and nodded to. "It's close to the pond."

It wasn't very far out. I could see it from where we stood. But I made sure to keep the pace really slow so I could have the time to simply bask into the moment.

"Does the sunlight look pretty right now?"

She asked after a long time of comfortable silence.

"Very," I replied. "But it's fading. It's in its reddish orange state right now."

"Wow."

"Super wow. It's beautiful."

"I wish I could see it."

That statement broke down a part of me. I felt bad that she couldn't see what I was seeing. Worse, she wasn't able to see how beautiful she was. It hurt.

"I'm gonna watch it twice," I squeezed her hand. "For the both of us."

Phoebe smiled at that.

"We're here." I guided her to sit and sat down next to her.

We didn't say a word again after that, just took in the sweet silence.

The darker it got, the less the people hung around. Soon, it would be dead silent. And that was my favourite time. When the park was deserted and serene. When only a few ducks swam around in the water and birds rushed to hide in their nests.

Then Phoebe sighed, letting go of my hand and moving a bit away, creating a little distance between us. She did it so quickly, and it made my insides ache.

"Do you know the one thing that I would give anything to have?" she posed a question.

"No," I stared above. The sky was slowly changing into a darker color. "What is it?"