Chapter 51

Solana

I stepped out of the floral shop as I thanked the florist for helping me out in arranging a bouquet for someone special. I didn't realize that I had spent the last two hours just picking the right flowers and designing it to perfection.

So when I saw my phone almost exploding with missed calls from her, I immediately dialed her number again and it only took a few rings before she answered and I know what kind of nagging I'll get from her.

"Hey, honey."

"Where are you?" I laughed after hearing that pissed off voice.

"Umagang-umaga pa pero ang init na agad ng ulo mo." I teased her which earned a groan in return, I squeezed my phone in between my ear and shoulder as I opened my car with my right hand since my other hand is holding the bouquet.

"You haven't been answering my calls since this morning and you just called me now, tapos tatawa-tawa ka like nothing happened?"

"Who wouldn't find it funny? Besides, I got busy with prepating for the opening of my art gallery as well as preparing for the play." I reasoned out while placing the flowers on the passenger's seat and sat on the driver's seat.

"I know you're in your prime now, but you should really consider resting as well." I heard her sigh on the other line while I just smiled because I know she won't be able to scold me anymore. "You know what day today is right?"

Nanahimik ako ng ilang segundo before smiling even though she won't see it. "Of course, how can I forget?" I glanced at the flowers beside me.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm getting better everyday."

"That's now what I'm referring—"

"I'm perfectly fine." I answered again, "Anyway, I have to go. I'll call you tonight, so don't worry too much."

"Alright. Do you want me come with–"

"I can handle it, bye!" I immediately ended the call and sighed to myself.

I don't think I really want to have company today, I have been planning this for weeks and I know I needed to step up on my own and to have the strength to do this.. alone. I picked up the flowers and drew them close to my face. I was the one who picked the flowers this morning at the floral shop which is why I wasn't able to answer any calls as I was preoccupied.

With a proud smile on my face; I placed it back in the passenger's seat as I started my car's engine and finally drove off.

***

My grip tightened around the steering wheel as my heart became weary just by looking at the surroundings. I thought I would be okay once I finally came here. Pero hindi pa din pala.

Heavy steps.

That's how I would describe what my feet have been feeling ever since I arrived at this place. It's like I don't even want to continue doing this but I have to.. because if I don't. Then all of my hard work will come to waste. I grabbed the flowers beside me as I finally made my way outside my car. As my feet touched the ground— I felt strange.

I never thought that this day would even come.

The sun shone brightly on the crisp day as I walked inside. Ito ang unang beses na makakapunta ako dito, and I was unprepared for the wave of emotions that swept through me as I stepped through the cemetery gates.

My heart felt heavy, my throat tight with tears that I refused to shed.

I had to be strong; I had to show her that I was still here, that I still remembered and loved her.