Ep6 - "Yellow Fever"

Light streams through the top windows of the morgue illuminating the room. Perfect light to see the dead body being cut open in front of Sam, Dean and Kaylnn.

"First dead body?" The coroner asks.

"Far from it." Dean replies.

"Oh, good. Because these suckers can get pretty ripe. Hey, hand me those rib cutters would you?"

Sam takes a fortifying breath while Dean picks up the cutters and hands it to the man opposite them. The crack can be heard loud and clear as he breaks the rib cage of Frank O Brien. Sam keeps himself from squirming, and Kaylnn wrinkles her nose.

Dean touched his fingers lightly to O Briens hand.
"Is that from a wedding ring? I didn't think Frank was married."

"Ain't my department."

"Any idea how he got these?" Sam gestures to the scrapes and scratches up and down the arms of the body.

"You know what? When you drop dead, you actually tend to drop. Body probably got scraped up when it hit the ground." The coroner pokes around in the chest cavity and heart. He prods at the main arteries. "Huh!"

Sam. "What?"

"I can't find any blockages in any of the major arteries." The coroner breaks off the heart while Dean tries not to vomit.

"Heart looks pretty damn healthy." He proceeds to hand the heart to Dean as if it were a piece of fruit. "Hold that a second, would you?"
Sam and Kaylnn smirk at his obvious discomfort.

Doesn't last long though because the coroner cuts something else and blood sprays on Sam. Kaylnn just about manages to duck but some hits her jacket and hair. Both now wear a matching expression of disgust.

"Oh sorry, spleen juice." The man says as explanation.

Dean side glances at the two trying to stifle a laugh.

————///////———-

Later...
The three are now sitting in the local Sheriff's office.

Before he speaks he takes out a bottle of sanitiser and slathers some on his hands. They all share the same confused look.

"Okay. So, what can I do for uncle Sam?" Sheriff Britton says.

"Well, we're looking into the death of Frank O'Brien. We understand some of your men found his body." Sam says plainly.

"They did. Me and Frank, we were friends. Hell, we were gamecocks."

Dean can't stop a snicker. He makes eye contact with Kaylnn just as the Sheriff gives him a stern look. She has to cover her mouth to stop from letting out a giggle. Much to Dean's delight, the hell Dean? Don't be looking at her just because you're both laughing.

Both her and Dean quickly sort their features into something somewhat serious and concerned.

"That's our softball team's name." Dean nods. "They're majestic animals. I knew Frank since high school. To be honest, I just this morning got up the strength to go see him. Frank was...He was a good man." Britton continues.

"Yeah. Big heart." Dean says deadpan.

Kaylnn has to stop herself once again and pretends to root for something in her pocket as a distraction. But a smile starts to tug at her lips, cracking her neutrality before being quickly smothered by a serious expression. Dean felt a little airheaded.
A look from Sam quickly shut him up.

"Before he died, did you notice frank acting strange? Maybe scared of something?" Sam tried.

"Oh hell, yeah. Real jumpy." The Sheriff replied.