Ep15 - "Death takes a holiday"

Dean taps a button on the jukebox, then thumps it looking confused.

Sam is at a table, laptop open, talking on the phone.

Kaylnn had gone to the counter to grab a chocolate milkshake.

"No, no, no, you're right, it's definitely weird. ...Okay, Bobby, thanks." Sam says into the phone, hanging up.

Dean makes his way over. "What's up?"

He slides into the booth resting his elbows on the table. Sam starts to type.

"Bobby found something in Wyoming."

"A job?" Says a female voice from behind Sam.

Kaylnn plonks herself down beside him. Dean lifts his eyes to hers but she's looking into Sam's laptop.

"Maybe."

Dean bites into his burger.

"Small town, no one's died in the past week and a half." Sam explains.

"That so unusual?" Asks Dean.

"Well, it's how they're not dying. One guy with terminal cancer strolls right out of hospice. Another guy gets capped by a mugger and walks away without a scratch."

"Capped in the ass?" Dean smirks.

Kaylnn ignores him. The girl sitting across from him hadn't said more than one word answers to him since the siren.

She liked it better that way, that's what she told herself reading Sam's browser.

There were two tabs open to the Greybull Gazette; the top tab had an article with the headline "Shooting victim walks away unharmed" and the subheading "Man miraculously survives after direct shot to heart".

She raised her eyebrows. The first paragraph reads Police and medical authorities are struggling for an explanation as to why local resident James Jenkins was able to walk away from a point-blank shooting incident. After leaving Bison Bud's Bar, Mr. Jenkins and friend Pete Hensley were confronted by a mugger in a nearby alley. After a brief altercation, the mugger fired a shot from a 9mm Automatic, hitting Jenkins [directly in the heart...]

Sam spoke again reading from the report. "Police say Mr. Jenkins was shot in the heart at point-blank range by a nine-millimeter."

Dean keeps eating, speaking with his mouth full.
"And he's not a doughnut?"

"Locals are saying it's a miracle." Sam said.

"Okay." Dean shrugs.

"It's got to be something nasty, right? I mean, people making deals or something."

Dean seems to consider this.
"You think?"

"What else would it be?"

"I don't know." Dean takes another bite of his burger.

"All right."

Sam puts his laptop in his bag.
"Get that to go."

Dean looks down and doesn't move.

"Come on." Sam stands, picking up his bag.

Kaylnn follows suit.

Still not moving Dean chews his food.

Sam looks at him, swinging his bag over his shoulder. "What?"

Dean looks up and but stays where he is, then glances away and back. "Sure you want me going with you?"

Sam looks puzzled. "Why wouldn't I?"

"I don't want to be holding you back or nothing."

Kaylnn rolls her eyes. "Yeah and I'd rather not be head slammed again, but we all gotta grow up Dean."