Chapter Eight: Baking Frenzy

Sayori and I started working on the posters to make them eye-catching for the people who are at our school.

"What else should I add?" Sayori asked me. I looked at her poster, which was very eye-catching in my opinion, which is a good thing! One thing she should add though is more pop of color, in my opinion.

"Hm...maybe more color?" I suggested. Sayori looked at her poster for a moment, and her eyes glistened in agreement.

"Ohh!! Yeah!" Sayori chuckled. "It does look kinda dull, doesn't it?"

"I wouldn't say dull, I would say bland."

"Ah okay!"

Sayori decided to add more color to her poster, and soon we finished all of our tasks.

"Looks like we've finished!" Sayori giggled. "But...that means you have to leave..."

Sayori seemed upset with that, but I tried reassuring her.

"Don't worry! After I finish helping everybody, I'll come right back here, alright?"

"Pinky promise?"

"Yep, pinky promise."

We locked pinkies for a second to secure our promise, as I left Sayori's house. Next, I texted Natsuki, who I was going to help next.

Hey Nat! Where should we meet up to bake the cupcakes? At your or my house? I texted her.

At your house, obviously :) Natsuki texted back. Where is it? You didn't tell me, dummy...

Once I texted her my house number, I waited for her arrival.

Soon I heard a knock at my door, and I opened it. Lo and behold, it was Natsuki, who was smiling cheekily.

"Hey, won't you take this bag from me and not just stand on the side lines?" Natsuki ordered. I reluctantly took the bag from Natsuki, which was EXTREMELY heavy. "You look exhausted just by carrying one bag!! I had to carry that ALL the way over here!"

"Damn...that's impressive..." I muttered under my breath, but somehow Natsuki still heard me.

"Exactly! And looks like you, numbskull, underestimated me!" Natsuki yelped.

"Aha...maybe," I agreed. "Let's just start baking, okay?"

"Haha! Fine!"

Natsuki took some of the baking supplies from her duffel bag and placed them across the kitchen counter.

"Bring me the instructions I wrote, why don't you?" Natsuki ordered. I grabbed the recipe from her duffel bag. "Thanks!"

Natsuki started placing the ingredients in the bowl and whisking it. Eventually she placed the batter in the tins and placed them in the oven.

"So...all I needed to do was stand here?" I asked.

"Of course! I don't need your gross hands all over my cupcakes!!"

"OUR cupcakes!"

"No, I did all of this myself, so it's MY cupcakes."

"It's the CLUB'S cupcakes. Deal?"

"Ugh, fine."

There was silence for a long moment, until Natsuki decided to give me something to do while setting the timer.

"I order you to clean the dishes while I check on the cupcakes and monitor them."

"Oh, so you give me the dirty work?" I snapped.

"Yep. And if you hate it, you can leave."

"This is MY house- fine."

I gave up trying, and decided to clean the dishes. After I was finished, Natsuki brought out the cupcakes.

"Now we frost them!" Natsuki exclaimed.

"Oh, I have an idea about how to frost them."

Natsuki looked at me like I was psycho, but stayed quiet and let me say my idea.

"How about on each cupcake, we write a word. Like one cupcake could have the word 'joy' while another one could have 'clouds', etc? And maybe they could make a sentence with their cupcakes if they want!"

Natsuki's eyes grew wide from amazement.

"Huh...finally, not a bad idea for once. I like it! Let's do it!"

Natsuki and I soon finished frosting the cupcakes, and soon Natsuki placed them in a tin, and carefully put them in the duffel bag.

"Already over, huh?" Natsuki asked. "It feels like no time has passed...and you have to see Yuri next, correct?"

"Yeah, I do...but hey," I chuckled. "I wouldn't mind if you came over again. I actually enjoyed spending time with you."

"Y-You did? Even with my insults...?"

"Well, that just made you more fun!"

Natsuki stayed silent, but then all of a sudden hugged me.

"You...you're amazing. I really don't deserve such an amazing friend like you..."

I hugged back and smiled.

"Well, I'm just happy you enjoyed my company. I thought you personally hated me or something."

"Of course...not. I can't wait for the festival..."

"Same."

"Ah...I gotta go now! My Dad will kill me if I'm late! Bye!!"

Natsuki let go of the hug and ran out of the house, carrying the duffel bag. I smiled to myself, happy with what I've done today so far.