Chapter Twelve: Meet Up

It was Sunday, and Monika and I decided to meet up at the park today. Once I was there, I saw Monika sitting at a park bench all by herself.

"Hey, Monika! I arrived!" I told her. Monika smiled warmly at me and waved.

"I'm glad!!" Monika exclaimed. I sat down next to her on the bench. "You don't know how happy I am that you decided to stop by and hanging out!"

"Well, of course I would. Why wouldn't I?"

"I don't know...people like you don't really talk to me."

"You shouldn't be that surprised, you know?"

Monika looked at me and sweetly smiled.

"I guess not! You're an amazing friend, you know? I can tell that the others like you."

"Really?"

"Oh, of course! Everybody seems more happy with you around, and deciding to help all of us is very thoughtful of you!"

"Thanks!"

"Of course, Y/N. Continue being you, okay? No matter what other people say! You're perfect just the way you are, you know?"

I couldn't help but feel the blush spread across my face as I smiled. For some odd reason, her words touched me in ways I couldn't express. Monika chuckled at my flustered expression.

"You're cute when you're flustered," Monika giggled. That only made me blush more.

Monika and I stayed in silence for a while, and then she sighed.

"How do you like the literature club so far? I know it might not be your thing, but you're getting into it, right?"

"Yeah...it's been quite interesting! All the club members are so unique..."

"I agree! Yuri, the bookworm. Natsuki, the Manga lover. Sayori, the people pleaser. Then me, the president of the literature club."

"I wouldn't just label you the 'president of the literature club'. I would say your the determined one of the club."

"Determined? What do you mean?"

"You've been trying so hard to get more members, and making sure each member is content with their stay. I envy that, you know? You've been trying so hard, and I appreciate that. I appreciate your hard dedication."

Monika stayed silent for a moment, then looked at me. Her green eyes glistening in the sunlight.

"You think so? Am I really...that meaningful to the club?"

"Of course you are! You started the club, so without you, the club wouldn't be a thing."

"I never realized how important I was...thank you..."

"No problem, Monika. Are you excited for the festival tomorrow?"

"I am excited...but very nervous too. I don't know why I thought sharing poems was a good idea...it makes everybody for anxious."

"Well, I respect the choice to read poems. It might help other people gain the courage to read THEIR poems. Wouldn't that be great? To get more members because of your idea?"

"That would be fantastic...do you think we will gain more members? Honestly?"

"Well, I can't promise anything. What I can promise is a good time, right?"

"Yeah...a good time!"

Monika got up from the bench.

"I got to go, but we'll see each other tomorrow at the festival, right? We'll spend more time with each other, correct?"

"Of course!"

I got up as well and hugged Monika quickly before Monika waved gracefully and left the park. I stood there for a moment, before heading back to my house as well.