Chapter Eighteen: Monika's Secret

I was back at the club, wondering what adventures lay for me today. I sat in a seat and grabbed a piece of paper and pencil. I decided to write a poem for fun, since I wanted to practice my writing skills. While I was writing, Monika went up to me.

"Hey Y/N...can I ask you a quick question?" Monika asked me.

"Sure," I said.

"What has been going on with the club members recently? They haven't been telling me anything, and everybody has either got injured, or got bandaged somehow. Sayori with her hand, Natsuki with her body being injured somehow, and Yuri with bandages on her arms...you were always around them at the time. Are you and the others hiding something from me? What's been going on?" Monika questioned. I was dumbfounded...how do I even answer that? Monika was waiting patiently for my response.

"I...I don't know how to answer that. It's quite personal to them, and I don't want to invade their privacy, you know?"

Monika sighs, looking disappointed. "I understand."

Monika frowns slightly as she leaves me alone. I continue my poem, somewhat feeling bad for Monika's situation. Since she's the club president, not knowing the club member's lives must be upsetting...right? Why do all of the girls trust ME anyways? I never thought I was the most trustworthy person...certainly after one day after the next.

Once I finished my poem, Sayori went up to me.

"Is Monika alright? She spoke to you last, so I thought about asking you...since she wouldn't answer me when I asked her."

"Ah...she asked if you guys were doing okay...since each of you got injured somehow and I was always near. I told her it's your guys personal business and I shouldn't tell her. Now she's kinda upset since...I don't know...maybe she feels left out with you guy's personal life?"

"Oh..." Sayori sighed. She took a seat next to me. "I didn't even think about that...now I feel like a horrible person."

"It isn't your fault, okay?" I tried reassuring her. Sayori shook her head.

"You're only saying that to reassure me, aren't you? Well thanks, but please open your eyes to reality. It is my fault, okay? And I'll take punishment for it. Just...I'll leave you alone now..."

Sayori gets up and leaves before I say anything. I felt sad all of a sudden, since I liked seeing her happy...why was she sad all of a sudden? I didn't understand...all of a sudden, Monika walked up to me yet again.

"Can I tell you something?" Monika asked, sounding monotone.

"I guess..." I muttered.

"I've always known what's been happening...I just like playing with peoples emotions. I'm the class president, after all. Want me to tell you something? Even though this...is different from how events play out, you can't escape fate. You know that right? Everything happens for a reason. You didn't save everybody. You just made the events play out longer than they're supposed to. Even if this isn't a game, all I have to do is find the book's script...shouldn't be hard, right?"

All of a sudden my vision faded to black.