Chapter Twenty Two: Settled In

As I was packing up to leave the club room, Natsuki and Sayori walked up to me.

"Ready to go home for the night?" Natsuki asked me. I nod.

"I am, just let me put this book away real quick," I tell her. It was the book I was reading with Yuri: The Portrait Of Markov.

"Do you even like that book?" Natsuki questioned.

"I do! But I also like Manga as well. Does it hurt to like both?"

"No...I was just wondering. It seems boring."

I chuckle, "If you want to read it yourself, you can. It isn't as boring as it may seem."

"No way!"

"Natsuki, be nice to Yuri's interests!" Sayori tells her. "She was kind about yours."

"No she wasn't! She always asks like she's better than me..."

"Or you're misinterpreting her words wrong."

"Whatever. Let's just leave already."

I finally put the book in my backpack and swung the backpack over my shoulder.

Natsuki, Sayori, and I leave the club room simultaneously.

"I've never asked, but...why are you living with Y/N now?" Sayori asked Natsuki.

"Oh...do you promise not to tell anybody?" Natsuki asks, looking at Sayori pleadingly.

"Of course! If it's private, why would I share something you don't feel comfortable anybody else knowing?"

"Thank you," Natsuki sighs. "Okay...my Daddy was beating me. Y/N witnessed it, called the police, and my Daddy got arrested. I have nowhere else to go, and Y/N suggested that I stay over until I have enough money to buy myself a house. Kinda scary to think about, but I've been trying to get jobs around town. Have you guy's thought about any jobs you want to do?"

"Oh my...that's awful," Sayori gasps. "And for the jobs, I have not. I would love to work in an animal shelter! What about you two?"

"Hm...maybe something casual like Dunkin' Doughnuts at first. Then I'll get something more interesting, like a zoo keeper. I love animals as well, so maybe we can both work in the animal shelter with each other!"

"Ooh yeah! What about you, Y/N?" Sayori questioned me.

"I haven't had time to think about it. But give me time, and I'll probably know," I tell them. They both nod, understanding where I'm coming from. We're still in high school, after all. We're graduating though in a month, which I am getting excited about.

We soon arrived at Sayori's house, and she waved "goodbye" to us, and went inside. Natsuki and I went inside our house next.

"Ready to write our short story for the literature club tomorrow?" I asked Natsuki.

"Oh God...I forgot about that. I'm not good at writing..."

"Me either. But everybody has to start from somewhere, right?"

"Yeah, I guess so."

"I'll start working on mine after homework, just to get it out of the way."

"Yeah, same."

Natsuki and I depart into our bedrooms. I place my backpack on the ground and start my Math homework, thinking about what my story will be about. It could be fantasy, or mystery...or maybe even romance. There's a lot of possibilities for a short story, and I can tell that tomorrow will be fun, reading off each other's stories.

After homework, I brought out a couple stapled sheets of paper so I can start writing my story, since I have a minimal idea.

The story:

Title: Magic Mushroom

A girl was walking in the forest, all by herself. She's always been alone, and homeless ever since she was a baby, so roaming along the forest with the wild life has always been what she's used to. She's always passed by the big and tall tree, it had beautiful green leaves, and even grew apples. The tree's apples are what gave the girl strength to continue on, even if she has nothing left. At least the tree was still here to feed her; something her parents never did.

One day, she met a fairy frolicking in the grass and flowers, having the time of her life in the spring sun. The girl noticed the fairy, and tried getting her attention.

"Hello?" The girl yelled out. The fairy stopped and looked at her.

"Oh my! A visitor! What are you doing here?"

"I'm just exploring...I have nowhere to go, anyways."

"Nowhere to go? You don't have a family?"

A tear sprawls in her eyes, "don't bring it up."

"Sorry...I forgot that was probably a touchy subject. Hm...oh! I have an idea!"

The girl looked at her, seemingly confused. "What is it?"

"There's this 'magic mushroom' per se, that can give you everything you want! Want to try? Nobody has ever tried before, but it's been rumored with the elves and fairies...would you like to test it out? It will do us a big service if you do!"

What does she have to lose? She has nothing left, after all...

"Sure," The girl agreed. The fairy cheered and gave the girl a bright red-looking mushroom. The girl ate it without a second thought. Right away, she felt weird. Tired, almost. "A-Ah...I'm going to take a rest under the apple tree, if that's alright..."

"Of course! That tree is a blessing, but you're allowed to sleep under it just this once."

The girl nodded and went under the tree. Once she closed her eyes, she was off into dream land. When she woke up, she felt strange. Smaller. That's when she realized: She's turned into a fairy. And there's. No. Going. Back.

I reread the story multiple times, to see if it was ready for tomorrow's story-telling. It was only two pages, but I was proud of it. I placed the story carefully in my backpack and smiled. Tomorrow is going to be a good day. I can feel it.