[ 58 ] Down the rabbit hole

WARNING: alcohol abuse, brief mentions of drugs, drug dealing and gang activity

Sat on the tarnished stairs that led to the club with an emerald bottle in his hand, its neck pressed against his damp lips, there Jeongguk was, contemplating the crumpled mess his life had turned into

Whatever little energy he had left tonight, he was using it to lift the bottle up until the familiar warmth of alcohol filled his throat; over and over again.

And he watched; he watched people come in and out of the club. A group of girl friends giggling, wasted men being pushed out by security, strippers going out for a smoke, boys snorting and bragging, wads of bank notes stashed in their pockets.

And they were all so empty and hollow.

Jeongguk snorted bitterly, taking another sip.

Then, he felt someone's presence. He didn't look at first — until the presence was closer than he liked it. He opened his mouth and cleared his throat, ready to tell that person to fuck off, but his gaze immediately softened when he recognized the familiar face.

"Seoyeon." He gave the girl a half-hearted smile, which she happily gave back with much more sincerity.

"Yup" she replied with a short sigh "Mind if I sit?" He shook his head no and so she did. For a while, it was silent, except for the music coming out of the club behind them, but Jeongguk didn't mind. Seoyeon was a comforting person, whose sole presence sufficed to make him feel at ease. Perhaps it was because she was rather candid, but Jeongguk felt he could be the genuine version of himself when he was with her.

He didn't fear her judgment, for she only allowed herself to judge what she knew could be helped, and when she did there was not an ounce of spitefulness in her words.

"Everyone is gossiping about you back there." The woman chuckled after a bit, nodding her head towards the club.

Jeongguk frowned, surprised. "Gossiping? About me?"

"Yeah, they think you're having sex with Han to earn more money or something." At that, Jeongguk couldn't help but scoff, the sound a mix of mockery and disbelief.

"I would never fuck Han, not even to save my life."

"Understandable." Seoyeon agreed, wincing at the mere thought of her best friend going at it with the gross man who effectively ruined both their lives.
"But seriously, what's going on with you and Han? He seemed pretty upset earlier." Her voice lowered to a whisper just in case anyone was listening.

"He trapped me." Jeongguk snorted, though there was no trace of amusement on his face. "Blackmailed me and made me his bitch. Now I have to do the dirty work he gives me and be available for him every second of the day, just in case he calls."